Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Dec-28-09 1:22PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: December 26th through the AM of the 31st!

As I suspected and expected, the forecast now calls for 3 footers in the AM....we will need to monitor this.

Fishing the CBBT in the winter will drive you crazy....and then you catch a few fish!

Time to go fishin' again!

#27 Dec-28-09 2:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

I think we will miss the washing machine effect (based on the models at present). High tide is at 6:30 AM so it will be outgoing running south with a N wind. Low tide is at 12:45 and that is when it could be still.

By 4 PM, we will be dead tired and ready to get back on land.

Of course, all of this will change.

#28 Dec-28-09 2:50PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

I'm getting pretty cised here too. If the weather predictions hold up, we'll be fishing right before the incoming front. Low tide @ the bridge is around 1pm so we should have some good current as well. I've never fished the CBBT, but I've heard that a good day there has ruined many previously devoted bass fisherman. Looking forward to see big Jeff do battle with the UL, if he gets a 30 incher on there in strong current the playing field is pretty much leveled, haha smile

#29 Dec-28-09 2:57PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Yikes just read that last post, 3 footers would not be too fun. Hopefully it will change for the better, if not there's always Anna.

#30 Dec-28-09 3:11PM

Ernie
Administrator

We did 2-4 footers two weeks ago. It really all depends how they are stacking of if they are rolling. I can hide from them in a few places.

I have caught them with a fly rod but properly equipped. An UL rod is not really going to work out for everyone if we have to fight a fish for a long time.

#31 Dec-28-09 3:16PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

new word just came down from the boss: my wife.

i am out for wednesday.

sorry to beg off again, but she who rules must be obeyed

#32 Dec-28-09 3:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

i am out for wednesday.

sorry to beg off again, but she who rules must be obeyed

Sorry to hear that.....so, who wants to go??

It's a 1 day all out run!

#33 Dec-28-09 4:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Got a 4th....BMP will join us but I will keep a back up list.

#34 Dec-29-09 5:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

Weather forecast is holding.....

"NNW wind 7 to 12 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 to 2 ft."

However, we won't see the temps get out of the 30's!

#35 Dec-29-09 6:39AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Enjoy and good luck. I hope the weather (e.g. sun) and waves work out for you all because it will be COLD!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#36 Dec-29-09 1:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

The boat is in the driveway...we are going!

Forecast calls for the temps hitting 40 (maybe) and it will be above freezing when we put in! cool NNW wind 8 to 13 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 to 2 ft.

I will send out an email to the crew with the rest of the details.

#37 Dec-29-09 2:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

A friend of mine just called...he is going alone tomorrow out of Kiptopeake. Anyone else interested? I can hook you up. He mainly fly fishes but will have regular stuff too.

#38 Dec-29-09 2:35PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i sure hope that wind trails off for you  guys as forecasted.

best wishes for a safe and successful outing

#39 Dec-29-09 4:47PM

Ernie
Administrator

Time to hit the rack 'cause 3:30 will come very soon! But....before that happens, please take a read at Capt. Pete Wahlberg's recent post on Tidal Fish. I respect Pete a lot and have fished with him. He is a good man!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'09 CBBT Report and then some!!!

Hello All,

Well....I've been down here since Nov 20 and have fished every fishable day except the holiday days.....I think the number is 17 if I get my tomorrow trip. Weather looks great so I'll go out on a limb and say 17. Yes the weather has been brutal.....over the last 10 years I've lost just a hair over 20% of my trips, this year it's over 50% lost down here. I'm not complaining, I signed up for this...nobody held a gun to my head and said become a fishing guide. I still love every second of it and think I always will.........

Fishing with light tackle at the bridge has been good but not great. I've had many days where we had to fight to get 100 fish and several days where we didn't even get that far. Had lot's of 27-32" fish on some days and some days very few. Out of all my trips I've had exactly 7 fish over 34" at the bridge. No big fish under birds like in years past. Out of all my days I've had considerable birds off the bridge on 2 days. Both days they were north of the 1st island and in towards shore. Those fish were decent but mostly sub-10 pound fish. Great fishing but not what we are used to. Being here as much as I am I chat with lots of folks. Many eelers are fishing and not catching.....however some great catches are being had, not as many as we should see though. It's scary to me, that's for sure. I've been guiding here since 2000........for the 1st several years it was heaven on earth....you could expect several big fish a day jigging the bridge and hitting the birds that would almost for sure fire-up somewhere during the day. Now.....I feel lucky if we catch a few over 27".

There are folks on both sides of the fence on "where" are the fish. I sat in on some meetings of the ASMFC with the coastal states being represented. It amazed me to hear the reps from some states defend there are plenty of fish....."they are off shore, they are everywhere out there". I believe that's a crock of you know what. I believe our coastal migratory stock of fish are seriously depleted. I'm no expert, just a dumba$$ guy trying to make a living doing what I love and I'm seeing scarey stuff from the Susqy Flats to the CBBT. Wild Bill is a perfect representative of information regarding migratory fish. He goes to holy He!! and back chasing fish from way up north to however far south they go and has a network of other "fishnuts". He certainly has to work way harder to catch way less big fish. It's obvious to whats going on and who knows where it will lead. I really hope I'm wrong with what I think......I hope they are off shore...way off shore...even out of wild bills range. I hope the weather is pushing them out or the lack of food....I just hope they are there somewhere. If they aren't we'll be in for some bad times real soon. I wasn't living in the mid-Atlantic region during the moratorium on Stripers, I was still in the military in a different region. I'm spoiled.....I love what we had and I hope we can have it again. Before they are gone I hope the "managers" can manage and do what it takes to make things right and not be influenced by things other than the facts. No doubt it "ain't" easy figuring out the "facts" when everybody thinks they have the right facts which are all different!!!

'09 up the bay from May-Nov was great for me. We all know what kind of fishing we had out of Solomons and other areas of the bay. It was darn good. The thing that concerns me is without the big migrants where will our bay fish be in the near future? I don't know but I'm wondering. I'm not nearly as smart as many many guys on this site but it's loud and clear to me without plenty of spawners we'll be out of luck before long. Where are they?

I think without a good hard look at everybody's fish (every state on the coast) harvest (comms, recs and poachers) we're going to be hurting. Unfortunately the way things work along the coast and up the bay not much will be done until the problem is really, really, really bad. Right now it's just really bad. Strong penalties for breaking laws and changing harvest numbers for comms and recs in a big way would probably go a long way in helping the stock. We all know Stripers are very prolific......it doesn't take long for them to strengthen up their numbers if they aren't over harvested. I just hope we won't have to go to moratorium again. That would really stink.......

On a bright note....fishing is still good!!! It just isn't what many of us spoiled fishing brats are used to. Even with the bad reports or not great reports this is still a fabulous place to get your stick bent and enjoy what mother nature has to offer. January and February were very strong at the CBBT last year.....hopefully we'll get a big fat weather window and be able to make up for lost time with some catch and release...I"ll be here giving it a shot, that's for sure.

I'm sitting here in my room at the Kiptopeake Inn just thinking, so I thought I'd jot it down, what the heck, it's therapeutic. I hope I didn't offend anybody....just stating what I see and it isn't pretty at the moment.

Good luck fishing everybody!!! (I need a beer)"

Board footer