Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-05-09 2:04AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

12-04-09 Occoquan River

After spending yesterday with Dan on the Occoquan, I woke up this morning excited about the prospect of trying it again. I called Dan and Mo to see who was available. Dan is not an "early riser". By the time I was able to reach him, it was 10:00 am. He had already made plans and Mo was available at 11:00.

Mo and I launched at noon. Unlike the previous day, the water was smooth as glass. We had two hours before low tide and it was cloudy. These are what I have always considered perfect conditions. We motored downstream, to the steep cliff on the right side of the river, and began jigging silver buddies.
Dan did well here yesterday with LMB.

I was marking fish but I was only catching small sunfish. As we neared low tide I changed over to live worms in hopes of catching larger sunfish but they continued to be small. We caught no LMB. I was thankful for the opportunity to be fishing but I could not catch anything large enough to put in the cooler.

At 3:30 we decided to call it quits at 4:00. We saw fish on the screen so we began jigging the silver buddies again. Within two minutes my rod was doubled over and the drag was screaming! If this is a sunfish, call Gene Mueller! Since neither of us had caught much today, I handed the rod to Mo so we could at least share some excitement. No one gets more excited about catching fish than Mo!

After a nice battle we boated a twenty-one inch four pound striper! After taking pictures, I dropped the silver buddy over and we were off to the races again! This time it was a seven pound twelve once flathead catfish. This was my first flathead. It was beginning to get cold so we called it a day.

That is what is really neat about this sport. No matter how slow it has been, the very next cast could be the one! Pictures to follow.

#2 Dec-05-09 5:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 12-04-09 Occoquan River

Wow....what a great ending to the day! Glad you guys got out....I am still kicking myself for not having taken Friday off.

How did that Flathead taste?   lol

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-05-09 7:12AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

awesome!!! can't wait to see some pics.

#4 Dec-05-09 9:00AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

We kept the striper and released the flathead.

#5 Dec-05-09 9:43AM

Ernie
Administrator

Carl wrote:

We kept the striper and released the flathead.

I was messin' with you. Capt. Mike said that there are not as many flatheads as there used to be. I think the blue cats are taking over.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer