Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-27-09 4:41PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

The morning of Turkey Day.

Bored out of my wits and hours until chow time I decided to do a little Football Jiggin'!   I made it to one of the local lakes close to my house and stood on the same point my buddy wacked a 7.5lber the other morning doing the same thing. I figured I would fish right to left. I never needed to move to the left. First cast to the right and a few casts in the same area let me know that I had found the sweet spot. The bite was so light that I missed more then I would like to admit. I was using a Dave's Tounament Tackle 1oz Football jig, multi shades of green w/chrt and a large watermalon w/grn flk trailer sprayed with Berkley Gulp in a Craw scent.
   Landed 4 in an hour and a half, all fish in the 2lbs range. Each with a really fat belly. Just goes to show that Thanksgiving and Football (jiggin') still go hand in hand.

#2 Nov-27-09 6:15PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Re: The morning of Turkey Day.

If you're talking about the lake "nearest" your house, it was surprisingly "on" today (the 27th) as well.  Caught 4 keepers in 2 hrs. but the largest was only ~2.   All were fat, as you said. Even the dinks had their bellies up to the table recently.

A Mann's -1 and SK Red Eye shad were all I needed.  One keeper hit the lipless crank in ~8-10 inches of water.  Honestly, it was after I had given up on the cast.

I had a jig tied on as well but didn't make the switch. 

The wind was brutal, which, to me at least, makes fishing plastics more difficult.

I didn't mark baitfish in the usual spots, maybe due to the wind or they may have moved more permanently: I haven't been to this lake in ~ 3 weeks.

#3 Nov-27-09 6:58PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

that is a hefty jig.

how deep was the water?

i would have thrown heavier today but dont carry more than a 3/8

#4 Nov-27-09 8:09PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

sometimes heavier jigs are a must. I don't throw too many 1oz jigs but 3/8 is my mainstay and it's fairly usual for me to throw 1/2oz.

#5 Nov-28-09 5:40AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

I am not a heavy jig guy

1/8, 1/4. 3/16

in big wind or fast water, maybe 5/8

but i Am interested dan, talk about how you see a jig- i saw that good bass you got in occoquan last month

it's interesting to me also that that fellow did well w/ the 1oz this late in the year, w/ a hefty trailer as well.

my instincts say waaay to big-obviously i am mistaken

good to be exposed to different techniques, because my thinking can get like wagon wheel ruts

#6 Nov-28-09 7:13AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Well, sometimes they are necessary. I posted a pic a while back of a 3lber I caught out of the lily pads at Cedar. I started fishing the pads by dragging a 3/8oz jig over the pads and letting it sink in the pockets. The 3/8 wasn't getting down through the holes because it wasn't heavy enough and it was getting hung up on the way down. I switched to a 3/4oz jig and the added weight got the jig to sink down in the holes without getting hung up on other pads or vegetation. In that case, the weight was necessary to fish the cover. Obviously, wind and current can also create conditions where a heavier jig is necessary.

In other cases, it's just a preference thing. Sometimes fish prefer slow moving baits that entice them to bite like a light jig sinking slowly through the water column. Other times they won't eat anything unless it is a "reaction bite" over which they have no control. A spinnerbait bumping through woods, a crankbait over rocks, or a lipless crankbait ripping through weeds are all examples of a "reaction bite." I strongly believe that a big jig sinking really fast through a tree or under a dock is the same sort of bite. Sometimes they just can't help themselves when they see a jig flying by the them.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Nov-28-09 7:15AM)

#7 Nov-28-09 10:00AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Jeffie, it's not the depth that I am keying on with the heavier weight. It is the feel and conture of the bottom. I will be back at it tommorow morning so E-mail me for details. It's a semi private lake, but I have the OK.

Board footer