Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-16-09 10:54PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

NHBA Occoquan Classic 11/14-15

We fished our last tournament of the year out of Occoquan this weekend. Saturday was cold and windy, but Sunday ended up being very nice with little wind and pleasant temps up in the 70's. We ran all over the river both days and checked out most of the major creeks from Occoquan to all the way down around Quantico. Our strategy was to fish hard cover around deep water, but it didn't end up panning out like we had hoped. My partner Jeff had a decent limit of about 8 lbs the first day, but I struggled, only able to put 2 in the boat for 3.1lbs. Most of the fellas did better on Sunday, but we struggled with only one fish each. My Sunday fish was a decent one though, weighing 2.6lbs. Most of the guys who did better fished deeper grass edges and docks with crankbaits, senkos and shaky heads. My fish were caught with a shallow-running crankbait, a creature bait and a stingray grub on a jig head. All-in-all it was a tough weekend for fishing for us, but still a very enjoyable one. I've had a chance to fish 6 tournaments this year with NHBA, and participating in each one of them has been a pleasure. The sharing of knowledge and comraderie that this club has really is something special, especially for a younger guy like me who's still learning. Many thanks to Charlie, Anthony and all the other folks who put in alot of work to make it happen. I've had a blast this year and learned a ton, and I'm already looking forward to Lake Anna next spring. smile

#2 Nov-16-09 11:56PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Re: NHBA Occoquan Classic 11/14-15

I fished Saturday w/ Kris, my first tx w/ this club.  He caught a limit and placed second w/ 10#, I caught two keepers for 2-9 or 2-6, I forget. Both of us caught lots of shorties on DS rigs.

I don't know how he did Sunday.

Who ended up winning?

I agree it seems like a great club. I'm still trying to put names w/ faces.   There were like 35 guys fishing Saturday.

#3 Nov-17-09 6:05AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I think Smitty won according to him.. But then again he always thinks he won.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Nov-17-09 12:46PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Yep, David Smith came in with 10lbs on Sunday and ended up winning with 22+lbs. Dave is a good fisherman, I had a chance to fish with him a couple of times this year. He usually does pretty well, unless his motor runs out of oil and he doesn't make it back in time for weigh-in. His partner Li tied for 3rd with Mark Light who brought in the biggest bag of the tx on Sunday, 13.6lbs. Kris had another good bag on Sunday and ended up coming in second. He seems to be a pretty good stick too, he finished high in the last one at Anna.
Mudcart, welcome to the club dude! For learning names, check out the tournament pics on the website, the newer ones have names to go along with the faces and fishes. Come up and introduce yourself next time, I'm easy to recognize as I'm pretty much the only one who still gets ID'ed at the bar.
Hey Capt Mike, you ever do weekend trips down on the Piank this time of year? Was thinking about doing a trip with my Dad somewhere, perhaps a day trip or a weekend adventure for some striper that we can call an early Christmas present. Gotta bend those rods over one more time before this long winter sets in.

#5 Nov-17-09 3:26PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

My season has two more trips on the books for the year. So the answer is no Piank trips this year. Catfish will bite into Jan and if my bait does not freeze in the tank I can take you two out and show you some real rod bending.. But come Jan I start my show season till March 15th.

If you want a Piank weekend trip I suggest July or August weekend. Better fishing too.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer