Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-26-23 4:56AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

More early morning action 6/26/23

Got out early again.  Beautiful sunrise.  I forgot my boots, so was actually wet wading in water that was less than a foot deep.  Water was up. but not muddy at all.  Grass is coming in nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/KJcFE5v.jpg

I caught a smallie on the second cast with the chug bug.  Maybe 13.5 inches.  It was still pretty dark (before picture) and the front hook got caught up in the snap, so I grabbed my frog rod with a Teckel Sprinker (plopper tail) on it.  That seemed too big, so I grabbed my nose hooked fluke rod and immediately started getting bites.  I missed a few before catching one about 13 inches.  Then something took the little split tail.  I threw it back out and caught this decent smallie around 16 inches.

https://i.imgur.com/oHVAcDF.jpg

I hooked another smaller fish, then lost that fluke.  I quickly nose hooked a Z-Man fluke and threw that out.  Caught another fish around 14 inches.  I lost that fluke and rigged up another little Zoom fluke in baby bass and hooked and lost a bigger fish.  Then I missed one and hooked a real nice fish that I fought all the way in and it broke the hook before I could grab it.

I fixed my chug bug and tossed that a few times.  I got one or two little swipes, but no bites. I then tied on another hook and wacky rigged a Yum Dinger.  Got a couple bites and landed one that was around 12 inches before losing that bait.  I tried throwing the wacky rig some more, but the bite was over after 6:30am.  Nice hour plus of action that should have resulted in more landed, but lots of fun.   Animal and bird activity was much less than my other recent outings.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Jun-26-23 6:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: More early morning action 6/26/23

Keep this up and you will be getting some nice Simms waders ($1k) and Korker boots ($250)! lol

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-26-23 7:14AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nope.  Not yet anyway.  Plus, I am too cheap for that.  Waiting for the river to rise a little more to take the boat out.  Had a few inquiries, but not sold yet.

#4 Jun-26-23 8:26AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Tried out the Zman flukes last week.  Not very impressed with them so looks like Ernie's gonna get a few packs soon.

Still on the hunt for a fluke that fishes like Winco's riverdarters

Last edited by hookup (Jun-26-23 8:27AM)

#5 Jun-26-23 9:47AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

Tried out the Zman flukes last week.  Not very impressed with them so looks like Ernie's gonna get a few packs soon.

Still on the hunt for a fluke that fishes like Winco's riverdarters

I have a pack of the Strike king in pearl color coming, which is the one I showed you last time. So far that is the only one that sinks as much as the WinCo.  I found the grey wasn't getting the number of hits that the white WinCo would.  Hoping this one does, as it has more tail action

#6 Jun-26-23 12:48PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Zman's weren't sinking at all. Did catch fish but I want to fish that first couple feet of the water column and not have them float

#7 Jun-26-23 3:00PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

ElazTech floats.  You don't want that.  Heavy salt sinks more too.  I have some old Case SSS that I will try again.

#8 Jun-26-23 5:05PM

Mhen

Oubassman has the right stuff.  If you want a heavier, fast sinking fluke style bait with great action the Stike King KVD Perfect Plastics caffeine shads are definitely worth a shot!  I have not fished them much, but know folks that really like 'em.

#9 Jun-26-23 5:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

The KVD coffee shad does work and they sink nicely. But...they don't have a split tail like George likes.

#10 Jun-27-23 5:04AM

Mhen

All it takes is a quick cut with a knife, but that's funny as I go out of my way to find straight tail flukes!  I find the straight tails have a much more natural and erratic action when fished quickly.

#11 Jun-27-23 5:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

Mhen wrote:

All it takes is a quick cut with a knife

That's what he did to my Case SSS.

#12 Jun-27-23 6:52AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

So far the old split tail fluke has produced more hits than the strike King I'm trying.

#13 Jun-30-23 7:38AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I've been know to modify a few baits now and then ;-)

Was putting my stuff away after Canada and found a stash of Winco's riverdarters that should last me the rest of 2023 and most of 2024.

Board footer