Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-29-23 4:29AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

New carry handle install on OK

My carry handles hit their end of life this weekend on my OK trident. I really don't want to use rivits again. Not a fan of self tapping screws in plastic when it going to have stress on it. I was thinking rubber well nuts might be the a good option. Anyone try them before?

#2 May-29-23 5:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: New carry handle install on OK

When mine went bad, I got a kit from OK and it worked out for me. It was a basic fix.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-29-23 7:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

On other model kayaks I replaced the rivets with stainless steel nuts, locking bolts, and fender washers.

#4 Jun-08-23 6:01AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

On my yak (not an OK Trident) I was able to reach in and use airplane locking nuts.  But it looks like that would only work in the front.  You could always install a hatch in the back!!!!  Easy!! Just kidding, that is a lot of work, but there is a lot of unused and inaccessible space back there.

#5 Aug-28-23 6:58AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I went with the well nuts. First batch were cheap ones off of Amazon. They had the issue of the nut pulling all the way down the neoprene sleeve when I tightened. Before I re-welded the holes, I ran to ACE hardware and grabbed a few and gave them a shot. So far so good. I did have the issue with one pulling through, but that was an installation issue on my part. I didn't clean up the inside of one of the holes and that imperfection caused it deform enough to be able to pull through.  One note is to be careful not to over tighten on these. I'd use them again on things like the rod holders. Probably will go a different route next time I have to replace the handles.

Board footer