Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-01-23 5:00PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Lake Murray - Big Bass Tournament

Tyler got a bass boat....finally.  It is a 20ft Skeeter with a 200HP motor (I forget the brand...Yamaha?).  He has been dreaming of this since he was 4.  He has had it out a few times local to Charleston and thought he had an overheating problem with the engine, but after some investigation and finally taking it to a mechanic, it was a short in the wiring harness.  $1K later it is all fixed.  What is that saying B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand.

https://i.imgur.com/upGqrQC.jpg

So, we decided to enter a 3 day Big Bass Tournament on Lake Murray SC (near Columbia, SC) this past weekend.  Every hour they award $1K to the biggest bass through $100 for the 10th biggest.  The top prize at the end of the tourny is a $52K Nitro boat loaded for the biggest bass.  Tyler said last weekend the fishing was great.  There was a spawn going on with the bass feeding in schools on topwater.  Well.......that was last weekend.  This weekend the bass were sitting in their lazy chairs with fat bellies watching fishing on TV.  The fishing was TOUGH!!!  Also, I agreed that Tyler was the primary fisherman on this trip.  I was really there for moral support, cast a bunch, and get a tan.  I fished from the back of the boat and told Tyler specifically to do whatever he needed to do to catch fish.  I said "Don't worry about me".  He didn't....

We rented a VRBO that was perfect and my wife and daughter came with us.  6:15 am Tyler and I were on the water fishing. This is the view from our VRBO.

https://i.imgur.com/PPBabh6.jpg

I caught 1 bass, about 2 lbs on Friday.  Tyler caught about 4 or 5, but nothing worth weighing in.  On Saturday, I thought I had a winner on the line, but it turned out to be a Striper!  Still a fun catch and the only catch for me that day.

https://i.imgur.com/iFyvvkh.jpg

Also on Saturday, Tyler had caught a couple bass in the 2-4lb range.  But they weren't going to win anything.  Most of the weigh ins each hour so far had been in the range of 4lbs to 6 or 7lbs.  Then about 12:45pm Tyler says "Big Fish" and I grabbed the net.  Great fight, played him perfect and he has a 6.6lber in the boat!.  Now it is a 10 minute race, at 60mph, back to the weigh in location because that is the winning fish so far that hour (current weigh in results are updated real time on the website).  We got there too late (the lake was a washing machine with bass boats racing all over the place).  So, he weighs in for the 1-2pm hr.  He was in first place until 1:55pm and then 2 people came in with 7lbers.  So he got 3rd.

https://i.imgur.com/sgTiFYH.jpg

Overall Tyler came in with the 6th largest fish of the tournament.  Unfortunately, they only pay out the top fish at the end.

On Sunday, it was stormy, windy, and miserable for most of the morning and early afternoon.  Tyler fished alone!!  I sat at home and relaxed.  He caught some fish, but nothing worth weighing.

https://i.imgur.com/yKvvLrA.jpg

But, we had a great time and his new boat performed amazing.  Handled the 2-3 footers, washing machine waves, storms, wind, and rain.  I told him at least he can have 100% confidence in the boat for any future tournaments.  Plus we had a great family weekend.

Last edited by GregF (May-02-23 5:36AM)

#2 May-01-23 5:45PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Lake Murray - Big Bass Tournament

That is great stuff!  Spending quality time with your son in his new boat and home turf.  Nice boat, fish and report.  I lived near Lake Murray in Columbia SC back in the late 1980's.  Fished from shore and a 10 foot Avon boat w/ 4hp.  Memories.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 May-01-23 6:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

1. I  have to go and fish with that boy.
2. Nice boat!
3. Glad you got in some good family time...and got a tan.
4. Your toes are ugly!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 May-02-23 5:36AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

1. I  have to go and fish with that boy.
2. Nice boat!
3. Glad you got in some good family time...and got a tan.
4. Your toes are ugly!

I've seen your toes.....your being a bit judgmental given what yours look like!!!  HA!!!!!!

#5 May-02-23 6:05AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Congrats on the new boat and thx for sharing your adventure

Luved the banter going back and forth on the toes

#6 May-02-23 9:09AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report. Always thought those big bass tournaments sounded fun.

tight lines

Board footer