Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-10-23 5:10AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Smallie fishing 3/9/23

I wanted to get out before the colder weather hit while the water was still a bit high.  River was dropping and water temps were in the low to mid forties.  It was cold in the morning, but supposed to get to 50 degrees with winds out of the NW at a 7-9 mph.  I thought I could stick close to islands and work shoreline eddies.  That was the plan.

I did not run too far.  The water was brown to green stained.  I thought the islands would protect me from the wind, but it was blowing straight down river at me.  I was having a hard time getting the anchor to hold me.  I was mostly using a tube, jig and craw and a ned rig.  After a couple hours, I finally got bit on the tube.  It was blind in one eye and someone cut the tail, but chunky 18".

https://i.imgur.com/WaUFz1Y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JzUhbMM.jpg

A little white after that, I tried the jig and craw and as I was reeling it off the bottom, a fish hit it right at the boat.  I debated just flipping it in the boat but decided to grab the net.  It pulled under the boat and then rushed to the back of the boat, where I felt it wrap around the TM (it was off).  I gave it some slack and it jumped and threw the jig on the other side of the boat.  It was smaller than the last fish, maybe 16 inches.  I was encouraged enough to keep fishing for a while.

The wind was cold and pretty constant all day.  I tried the other side of the river and it was more stained and my anchor would not hold.  I ran upriver to try another island, but the wind was worse there.  I ended up going back to the area I started.  I did not get any more bites.  Stayed way longer than I probably should have, but I like being on the water.

Lessons learned:  NNW winds not good for holding boat position there and bring my bigger anchor when the river is over 4 foot at POR.

Last edited by drxfish (Mar-10-23 5:12AM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Mar-10-23 5:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Smallie fishing 3/9/23

Good reward for the conditions. It's gonna take some time for me to reaclimate to the cold. Heck, I was chilly running in the fog the other day and it was over 60dF! lol

That NW wind is a PIA especially when the river is running a little faster.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-10-23 6:31AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Smallie fishing 3/9/23

I had a bunch of snags and a couple bad wind knots to keep me busy.  One snag started moving and it turned out to be a big log that was short, but hefty.  I was fighting that thing to bet my tube back for a few minutes in the swift water.

The erosion and big trees lost or dying is a bummer to see.  The highlights for me were a juvenile bald eagle that perched nearby and a pair of Merganser ducks that swam out from a blowdown.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer