Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-27-23 6:19AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Trout fishing the Urban ponds!

Well, I thought I'd let everyone know that I've been out a few times these past weeks for trout fishing in NoVA.  Specifically at Cossi pond in Fredericksburg and Locust Shade park in Prince William next to Quantico.  I'm fortunate that these are considered urban trout ponds that get stocked by the state and I happen to live between them.

It's been a minute since I've been out there, but decided to enjoy life more and at least get my line wet!  Went to Cossi twice with no luck using powerbait and small spoons.  Got 4-5 good hits and even a blow up by rainbows, but no set.

Locust shade was just stocked on Feb 24th and I didn't get out there until 2:30 pm.  Plenty of parking so I knew something was up.  Talked with a bunch of folks leaving with their 4 fish limit and wow the rainbows were all nice size and really pretty.  Maybe 2 lbs average! 

I spent the day there and nada.  I even went with the same technique others were using.  But it was clear the people catching were dipping there lure in something (scent) and they were the only ones catching.  They were being pretty stingy about their technique....lol....I'm not sure why fishermen are that way.  You can only catch 4 fish per day!

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed in myself to be truthful.  I always thought I was an ok fisherman.  So, I decided to clean out my garage of my gear and literally go through it all.  I have so far given away 8 fishing rods and several bags of lures to my neighbor kids who want to get into fishing.  I realize that I've been hoarding brand new lures!!!  never even opened.  Maybe....200 of them!! lol.  So, I cleaned up my act and went with better gear and a new mindset that being out there...fishing...outdoors....enjoying my equipment...enjoying life...is the way to go with or without catching!

Tight lines everyone!

#2 Feb-27-23 8:19AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Trout fishing the Urban ponds!

Sounds like a great mindset to get you enjoying fishing in 2023.  Congrats!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Feb-27-23 8:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

I love it when a fisherman says, "I can't tell you what lure I used". What? I understand spot burning but not sharing how? Not for me.

Every year,  I go through my stuff as well. I am getting better at getting rid of lures and even rods/reels that I did not use for 2 years. Giving stuff away (especially to kids) is actually a very cool thing to do.

Heck, I could get rid of 2/3s of what I have and still have a nice bounty. Truth be told, while I bring a much smaller bag with me when I smallie fish, I rarely go in to it other than to get another soft plastic to replace the one that was damaged.

Lastly, while we all play the "numbers" game when we fish, I find that the total experience to be more valuable than what I caught. And I probably get more exited when someone catches a fish on my boat than when I do.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Feb-27-23 8:52AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Time to break out the crickets ...

#5 Feb-27-23 12:44PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I've been to Cossey many times and it's never consistent. Those stocked trout are weird. There are days they are as ravenous as piranha and days you would swear they were vegetarian. Some days I outfished the powerbaiters by a mile and some days they did the same to me. I throw either spoons (usually a Super Duper) or trout magnets. Usually the magnets work better but they're tough to cast. A few years ago they dumped a bunch of 3-6lb trout in that pond. That was wild.

I doubt you did anything wrong. Go back the next time they stock and you might catch a limit in 30 minutes. You never know.

tight lines

#6 Feb-28-23 5:00AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

True about hit or miss on days.  I recall dragging worms worked great one day and nada the next.  Super dupers and Trout magnets are pretty effective, but your right about having the casting distance.  I'll just keep up with my routine and enjoy the days.....heck, I was out there yesterday in the rain and caught a crappie at locust shade!  I don't mind bad weather at all.

Board footer