Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-02-23 2:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

1-2-23, UP

When we 1st chatted about fishing today, I had told George that I wanted to try out of White's Ferry. But I got to thinking about it and changed plans to go out of Lander which is 25-30 minutes closer.

We left my house shortly after 7:30a with a quick MickeyD's stop for a breakfast sammie.

The ride to Lander was uneventful since today was a holiday thus no traffic. However, that could mean that we would see some trailers at the parking lot. Yep, when we got there there were 3-4 trailers and I told George that I really didn't want to mess with boat traffic so off to White's Ferry we went. Hey, we are both retired now so what's another 30 minutes?

As we were getting close to the ramp, I mentioned to George, "watch there be 5 trailers in the lot". Sure enough, that was the number but as we found out later, most of them were cat fishing. No bother to us.

On the water by 9:15a and 1st fish on at 9:30a!!

https://i.imgur.com/gTxKA26.jpg

A nice, pale 14"er! Was this a good sign for the day? I know, I gave away the location but that would be our only bite there.

We tried downriver a bit and all we got was a lost lure in the bushes. It was too shallow for me to try to retrieve it.

The sun was out and it  felt so good. Not chilly at all.

The water temps there was 40dF.

So now, we made a run up river but man, was it a cold ride. I finally stopped and told George that I could take no more so we started fishing. Not sure if we got any bites initially but it was now noon and George said,  "you ready for lunch". What kind of questions is that?  "Heck yea" was my answer.

https://i.imgur.com/M7c3shS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mQEDoBC.jpg

Another great Dagwood from George!

I remember marking some deep water back when the water was low and clear so we headed for it and Gorge took his skunk off with a tub of a 15.5"er!

https://i.imgur.com/wgJ6jzL.jpg

Yep..we whooped it up pretty good as we both had our 1st 2023 smallies in the boat!

I also remembered some deep water by a particular house...well, mansion. We headed there and I was able to get my 2nd fish of the year!

https://i.imgur.com/1gSLR3T.jpg

BTW, all three of the fish came off of one of George's home made jigs. The bites were almost non existent! And all 3 fish came relatively close to the shore line. We got notin' down the deep middle.

At some point, it started to drizzle and it got noticeably cooler but once George put on his rain jacked, it settled down again.

We floated some more and I made a cast. About half way through it, I gave up and started reeling in because there was a boat behind us. I look back, and this smallie torpedoes out of the water. What? I looked at George in bewilderment. He says, " dude, he was following you"!

You never give up on a cast! Ever!!

We fished some more but no bites (that we knew of). We both wondered how many fish licked our lures. We will never know.

Overall, the day was pleasant...except for the ride up river. And I wish the sun had stayed out longer to help push the temps up another degree or 2 but the clouds won that battle.

Both of us earned participation trophies and George got the big fish award and I got the most fish award. lol

We giggled like kids on the way home! Nice day out and caught our 1st smallies of 2023!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jan-02-23 3:18PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 1-2-23, UP

Congrats, guys!  I was out but did not score.  Got one bite that was a tap and then nothing.  I waited and felt to see if it was on, but nope.

I had to use the hand warmers with the breeze off the water.  Nice day to be out overall.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jan-03-23 3:35AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Can't believe that the King of Warm Weather Fishing actually took a trip on January 2. Was that the first time you were on the Potomac that early in a year? And now that you've found fish and survived the weather, does that mean that you will now add January to your booking calendar? Just kidding...but congrats about the first fish of the new year; and I hope this bodes well for all of your future trips in 2023.

#4 Jan-03-23 6:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bruce wrote:

Was that the first time you were on the Potomac that early in a year?

You made me look!

1-6-07, went to DC w/ Curly. It was in the 60's.
1-1-11, went to Lake Anna w/ Charlie Taylor. It was in the 50's.
1-9-16, went to lower Potomac. Epic 100+ striper day. It was in the 50's. A cold front moved in the next day and chased the stripers out to the ocean. And Bruce made a comment about me fishing in "cold" weather lol
1-4-17, fished w/ Curly at Lake Anna. It was in the 40's. Brrrrr...
1-13-20, fished the UP with John Durbin. It was in the mid 40's.
1-11-21, fished the UP with the Lipetz boys, It was COLD (32-41dF). Double Brrrr!! Only did it for Quinn since he was on school break.

#5 Jan-03-23 9:38AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Great stuff. Winter bass are so rewarding.

tight lines

#6 Jan-05-23 7:05AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

When do you fish jigs?  When the water is wet ....

https://i.imgur.com/asfbmlc.jpg

#7 Jan-09-23 6:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

George teases us with his jigs but the ones with purple or blue are my faves.  The black ones kinda remind me of what Curly always used in the Village ponds. If it ain't black and blue...forget it!

#8 Jan-09-23 1:14PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

......The black ones kinda remind me of what Curly always used in the Village ponds. If it ain't black and blue...forget it!

If it ain't black and blue... forget it!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#9 Jan-09-23 2:31PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Green pumpkin and purple worked today

Board footer