Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-23-22 2:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-23-22, Wicomico River

WHAT...were we thinking???  lol

I just say that George made me do it!!

As I mulled over the weather forecasts on Thursday, I could see the handwriting on the wall. Too much wind for fishing Friday. Still, I kept looking and wishing.

Finally, I called George and made him promise not to get mad if we drove down to St. Mary's County and caught nothing. He was OK with it and reassured me that getting breakfast and lunch at the Chaptico Market was worth t. That's all I needed to hear. I had a couple of ideas...

I picked him up at 6:15a and off we went!

We get to the Market and they were ready for us!

https://i.imgur.com/v8TfYB8.jpg

We each placed a bulk order for their breakfast sausage and told them we would be back at 1:30p to pick it up...along with lunch.

So we drive down to Chaptico Wharf and as soon as I saw the river I knew we were in trouble. You could surf on the rolling waves (current + wind + a late outgoing tide). That was Plan A which I was about 90% certain that it would not happen.

On to Plan B.

We drove close to 30 miles to get to Capt. Chuck's place (used to be Shemansky's) on the other side of the river. Man, I have a lot of great memories from that place.

Once there, we had to pay the ramp fee. We went in and the guy at the counter says, "you going out in that thing?". "They have Gale Warnings out"! We assured him that we would only fish in Neal Sound and he was OK with that, so we paid the $5 fee.

George left to go to the car and I started chatting with the guy. His name was Juan, my middle name. We became instant buddies when he said he was from Puerto Rico. Then he tells me his last name and it was Morales. Holy crap! We could be related. My maternal Grandma was a Morales. After a good laugh, George comes back and gives him a couple of his hand made perch spinners. Juan was pleased.

The launch was uneventful and off we went.

The 1st place I tried was a point that was guarding us a little from the winds. Hard to hold the boat but George took the skunk off in no time. It was 10:03a.

https://i.imgur.com/ugEHjgG.jpg

We were half way there as I had set a goal of 1 fish each in all the wind!

Then he gets a flounder!!

https://i.imgur.com/umvzb3I.jpg

Here is a nice shot looking out on the Wicomico.

https://i.imgur.com/CaxPiHt.jpg

George caught another flounder and perch so he was up 4-0! No worries, the goal has been met (by him anyway).

That area was too shallow (we actually got stuck a couple of times plus sucked up some rocks) and too windy so we headed back in to the Sound. My goal was to fish the jetties on the south side. But as I motored under the bridge, I knew that there was too much wind so I headed over to a little island where we could kinda hide from the wind.

George caught a teeny one...

https://i.imgur.com/fc4XtQl.jpg

...and I got my skunk off!

https://i.imgur.com/SuagDH1.jpg

Then George gets some major pullage and he had a larger flounder on the hook. Sadly, it came off as George got him close but that was a nice bend on the rod.

We stayed in the same general area and by the time we called it a bit after noon, George had 9 fish total and I had 8. Plus Georges' crab which didn't get a pic because apparently, I messed up. Oh well.

We get back to the ramp and we are elated that: a. we fished and b. we caught fish. The wind was brutal!

After chatting with Juan (yes, he shook his head in disbelief) we headed back to the Chaptico Market and grabbed lunch.

https://i.imgur.com/iWaTJDB.jpg

That's George's Head Cheese sammie roll

We also had deviled eggs as an appetizer, they were good.

We both had fried shrimp which was top notch and I had a couple of pieces of their fried chicken.

https://i.imgur.com/g9jozW8.jpg

All the way home, we just kept saying, "man, that was good".

So...at the end of the day, we went on an excursion with very low expectations. I was so close to canceling yesterday. But our decision to go made for some great laughter and memories...and we ate well as always. Sure, we burned some gas getting down there but man, you only live once!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-23-22 6:28PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 9-23-22, Wicomico River

Glad to see you caught some and did not regret your decision.  But really, it was all about the food!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Sep-24-22 3:17AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the story, Ernie. You teach us some great lessons, not only about fishing, but about life.

#4 Sep-24-22 4:32AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

You could surf on the rolling waves

I did a little surfing yesterday and LKA lol .  No bites though sad

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Sep-24-22 5:32AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah it was all my fault

F'sure F'sure in my best Valley Girl voice

Ernie called around 1600 and was hesitant about the trip and all I said was you're the skipper.  I'm all for calling the trip due to safety.  But Ernie had a plan and needed me to weight in a positive way.  I finally was forced to say something other than you're the Skipper your call.  I did.  I said if its blowing 30 mph out of the Chaotic ramp let's call it.  Also said I'm game if you're game because that's why they call it fish'n and not catch'n. Then Ernie pulls the Ace out of his sleeve. But  there's a sheltered area we can drive to that we may be able to fish. 

Awesome - new water.  And thank you for sharing all the memories you had there.

Day started out with an accident on the beltway with all but one lane closed.  Waze warned us so Ernie was able to circumvent the traffic with back streets.

All the way down there we were looking at the trees.  No wind.  That's good. Maybe.  Just maybe?

Due to the delay because of traffic we were both starving. Got into the market and they remembered us.  Who can ever forget the mad Cuban and crazy German buying up all their sausage.  And out peaked a loaf of Souza - head cheese with hot peppers.  I squealed with delight.  Everyone thought I was nuts to eat that because they saw how it was made.  I've made it and still eat it.  Luv that store because everyone is friendly.  Wish the rest of the world was like that.  People are so sensitive now

We got to the first ramp and got a warming from the Limo - Gale force winds 15 miles away.  Man, that car even talks to you.  Amazing.

It was windy when we launched but no white caps.

Ernie called todays goal as one fish each.

First place we came to looked like the lazy boy next to the grocery store concept I use when fishing for bass.  First cast got bites.  Third one finally scored.   Ernie was managing the boat and not getting us stuck in the sand bar.  I said my goals been met, let's go LOL.  Figured out the pattern early on and stuck with it.

We were looking for a place with depth and shelter from the wind.  Finally found it and pretty much stayed there the rest of the day.  The place produced.  Never caught so many flounder and wish I had a pix of the big one.

Drive home was pretty uneventful with the exception of allot of laughs and joking around from both of us.  We both realized that our adversity became adventure on our fond remembrance.

Thx again for the fond memories - now I have to go pack up sausage and freeze it.

Last edited by hookup (Sep-24-22 5:34AM)

#6 Sep-24-22 6:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

Excellent recap to the stuff I missed.

When we ordered the sausage in the morning, George asked the nice lady if she ate that head cheese stuff. Her answer, “no way, I know how it’s made”.  I agree with her, that stuff looks nasty but George inhaled the Sammie.

#7 Sep-24-22 6:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

I did a little surfing yesterday and LKA lol .  No bites though sad

Yikes!

At least we had places to hide!

#8 Sep-24-22 6:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

drxfish wrote:

and did not regret your decision.  But really, it was all about the food!

Yep...it was mainly about the food so no regrets unless the Market was closed! lol

#9 Sep-24-22 6:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

I squealed with delight.

Yes...he did!

#10 Sep-24-22 7:10AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

hookup wrote:

I squealed with delight.

Yes...he did!

Still am

https://i.imgur.com/M7UTim3.jpg

But really, it was all about the food!

It's not only about the fish'n.  Although we did better than Ernie's original goal and caught white perch, flounder and crabs.  Also the challenge of finding spots to fish that were productive and the adventure of about going out on a day that most won't

The food was an extra.  Discovered I had 5# of sausage when I only ordered 3. 

Home run

Last edited by hookup (Sep-24-22 7:18AM)

#11 Sep-26-22 4:57AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

you guys have the best outings when you set realistic expectations with a big dose of food!  You know.....you need to start a show in this manner because it combines two of my favorite things and there is no one doing that!  "Excursions with G&E" or "Fish & Food"  Please credit me later!

Also the food!  the headcheese and sausage is killin me this morning.....need some!

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Sep-26-22 4:57AM)

#12 Sep-26-22 5:14AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Oh man I love me some headcheese! Need to hit up that market. Great report as always.

tight lines

Board footer