Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-23-22 4:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

A fishing story...really!

Office of Stafford County Sheriff:

Felon with Firearm Found:

A Stafford man faces charges after a peaceful day of fishing almost turns deadly.

On August 22nd, at approximately 1:27 p.m. a fisherman was fishing on the Potomac River. The fisherman's day was interrupted rather abruptly when someone starting shooting a shotgun towards his location. The suspect was described as wearing black pants and no shirt. Multiple deputies responded to the suspect residence on Brent Point Road. When deputies arrived, there was no sign of the individual outside.

While surveilling the area, Sergeant A.I. Assur observed a freshly spent shotgun shell on the back porch of the residence. Deputies S.M. Eastman and C.M. Hidalgo were given consent to enter the residence.  While inside, they located a male matching the description provided who appeared intoxicated on the bathroom floor. The individual, James Bennett III, 33, of Stafford, was identified after many attempts to wake him up.

Bennett denied any knowledge or involvement in the event that took place. Deputies found this to be a bit fishy considering the victim had video proof of Bennett shooting the shotgun, as well as, there was a shotgun in the bathtub besides Bennett. At this point, Bennett was detained.

Bennett denied once more knowing of the incident; however, during the search incident to arrest, Deputy Hidalgo found a shotgun shell in his pocket. The shotgun shell matched the spent one in the backyard. Bennett was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, ammunition possession by a felon, and reckless handling of a firearm. He was held at Rappahannock Regional Jail without bond. Luckily, the victim was not injured during the incident.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-24-22 1:04PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: A fishing story...really!

When hiking, every morning, right at sunrise, I hear shotgun reports welcoming the new day

Since the area has become very populated, I'm sure the LCSD has a bunch of calls

#3 Aug-24-22 3:46PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

When hiking, every morning, right at sunrise, I hear shotgun reports welcoming the new day

Since the area has become very populated, I'm sure the LCSD has a bunch of calls

People complain nearly every time Leesburg PD uses its range at the water treatment plant next to the river.

#4 Aug-24-22 4:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

Interesting...I've never heard the gunfire form near the water intake (up river from River Creek?). But I do hear it from near Poolsville. There is an Izaak Walton range over that way.

#5 Aug-25-22 4:30AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

down here in stafford on my side, you're allowed to shoot in your own backyard.  I'm polite though.....I use suppressors for all my guns.

#6 Aug-25-22 5:31AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

T. wrote:

People complain nearly every time Leesburg PD uses its range at the water treatment plant next to the river.

I always wondered who was doing all that shooting right there.  They go to town!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#7 Aug-25-22 12:00PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

The Montgomery Co PD range is just a mile NE from the river across from the water treatment plant.

#8 Aug-25-22 12:43PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Yes, you hear shooting on both sides of the river there.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#9 Aug-25-22 2:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

down here in stafford on my side, you're allowed to shoot in your own backyard.  I'm polite though.....I use suppressors for all my guns.

lol lol lol

#10 Aug-25-22 3:00PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

you're allowed to shoot in your own backyard..

Last time I checked the law, which has been a while, if you own 7 acres or more you're allowed to discharge a firearm on your VA property

Last edited by hookup (Aug-25-22 3:00PM)

#11 Aug-26-22 4:46AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

you're allowed to shoot in your own backyard..

Last time I checked the law, which has been a while, if you own 7 acres or more you're allowed to discharge a firearm on your VA property

I only have 4, but on my side of the county it's still allowed.  Fortunately I have a steep hill in the backyard that is a natural backstop that I reinforced with logs to make sure nothing goes anywhere else.  But I still only shoot small calibers to be polite.

#12 Aug-26-22 7:12AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

But I still only shoot small calibers to be polite.

A .44 Mag compared to a 300 WinMag is a small caliber, right?

Board footer