Patagonian Toothfish

Re: It is what it is...

And then buying more gear/materials.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Aug-01-22 4:45AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

that just about sums it up for me!  the investment alone is a hand to the face. lol

#4 Aug-01-22 5:53AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

The "getting more gear/materials" step is why I've avoided getting in to fly fishing. I spend way too much time and money on fishing already. If I added fly fishing to my list of fishing-related hobbies things would get out of control really quickly. Same with rod building. I'm never even going to try it.

tight lines

#5 Aug-01-22 6:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

When people ask me about getting into fly fishing, I ask them why they want to and how much $$ they want to invest. They always say they will just get 1 rod and try it. Ha! It doesn’t work like that.

Once hooked, they buy expensive reels to catch small trout and blue gills. Fact: the reels just hold your line when using 6/7 at and below. Some will argue with me but most fish that the majority of fly folks catch are line stripped in.

It is fun and satisfying but expensive. Just ask Paul Naj. lol

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Aug-02-22 7:36AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Bryan wrote:

T fishing-related hobbies things would get out of control really quickly. Same with rod building.

I went the route of rod building.  Started mostly because I modified every rod I bought off the shelf and got so much practice, I figured why not. Once I had a quiver I stopped because next steps were marketing.  Started with a card board box with notches on each end and a book for thread tensioner.  Liked it so bought a "kit" from Cabelas.  Everything by hand - no machines to turn.  Did get a rod turner for the epoxy to dry. 

As far as fly rod, I have my grand fathers stuff around somewheres.  He would fish the streams and lakes of Upper PA for trout & panfish.  It all still works. 

Decided not to get into fly rods now because of all the work building them - I know I'd go through the store bought craz then start making my own.

But I do tie a wicked fly on a 1/64oz jig.  Son's buddies in CO love them.  And I probably have more jig tying stuff than I have room to store it.  I like the old style - bear, beaver, deer, elk - and keep them simple.

Board footer