Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-11-08 1:22PM

rit.05

Buying a yak!

So I got serious and actually accepted an offer on my boat. I hadn't had it out enough to justify the storage fees and regular maintenance. Oh well...

So I am buying a kayak with some of the proceeds of the sale. I will be fishing the Occoquan Resevoir and Burke Lake mostly. (Also will be going on your next float trip on the Potomac or 'doah)Any suggestions? I found an Emotion Fisherman for $500. I really want to jump right into the Hobie with Mirage drive, but they are hard to find used.

Anybody have an experience with Backyard Boats in Woodbridge, VA?

Its good to be back in the mix. I haven't fished this summer and I miss it! I've been flying nonstop and now that the weather has started to cool off, I have the itch!

Dan

#2 Sep-11-08 1:33PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Buying a yak!

I was thinking about getting a kayak but I figured out I should wait until after college when I would actually be able to use it.  But, I got a lot of great advice from these two posts.

http://forums.riversmallies.com/forums/ … opic=41030

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishin … 1219236749

#3 Sep-11-08 2:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

Dan,

You need to join Curly and I when we fish the Washington Channel later this fall!

There are a couple of guys on the Forum that own Hobie's. I am sure Andrew and Simon will chime in. But you are right, hard to find used.

I have an Ocean Prowler 13 footer. I did ZERO research and bought it from Josh (L1Ranger). For me, it's perfect. You can get one used anywhere from $400 to $700.

There are many other good brands. Make sure it wide and stable! Wilderness makes good yaks too. Those links that Charlie gave you will keep you busy.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Sep-11-08 3:00PM

Ernie
Administrator

#5 Sep-11-08 3:16PM

rit.05

I am ready for some Washington Channel stripers and wouldn't mind showing you guys a few holes that hold the monster catfish I've been catching over the past couple years.

I've got gear and gas money...just no more boat for the time being.

#6 Sep-11-08 3:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

rit.05 wrote:

I am ready for some Washington Channel stripers and wouldn't mind showing you guys a few holes that hold the monster catfish I've been catching over the past couple years.

Consider it done....we just need to figure out when.

Ernie

#7 Sep-11-08 6:41PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

rit:

I have a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. It's my first yak and I love it. It took a little getting used to since I was used to run and gun fishing from my brother's 21 foot Triton. Once I learned to slow down and enjoy the quiet and the exercise, it became second nature to me. The boat is stable enough for me to stand in while I fish. It's a relatively new boat so I don't know if you'll find any used ones out there.

BTW, I've fished Occoquan and Burke from it and it's perfect for water that size.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/ultimate12.jpg

The boat has mojo too!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/5lb5oz.jpg

#8 Sep-12-08 12:35PM

rit.05

Thanks Paul. I found a 2008 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 for $600. Seems like a good price so I'm going to jump on it. Can't wait to hit the water.

#9 Sep-12-08 5:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

rit.05 wrote:

Thanks Paul. I found a 2008 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 for $600. Seems like a good price so I'm going to jump on it. Can't wait to hit the water.

Buy it!! f not, tell me where it is!

Ernie

#10 Sep-13-08 6:45AM

rit.05

Sent you an email Ernie

#11 Sep-13-08 12:42PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

This thread came at a perfect time, since I've also been considering a yak. I've read the posts and followed the links and have come to the conclusion that an Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game is best suited for me. I've seen it called anything from a tank to a battleship, which is perfectly suited for a lard@$$. The hype says while it's a little slower than the greyhounds, it's still very maneuverable and tracks well. Best of all, everyone who reviewed it was a wide body well over 6' and 200 lbs. All said it was very stable and dry. Comes with standard rod holders, seat, small tackle box and lots of storage. The only drawback anyone mentioned was the weight, 69 lbs. Anyone have any other negatives?  Also need suggestions for other needed items besides the obvious vest and paddle.   Thanks, Bob

Last edited by Osprey (Sep-13-08 12:48PM)

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#12 Sep-14-08 4:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bob,

The Prowler will be great, I have the 13 footer! I go 235 so I can speak from experience!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/DSC_00340012.jpg

Here is the battleship with all the ammo!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0870.jpgWhat I would suggest is a couple of Pelican box, a couple of carabineers and some nylon cord. Then attach the cord securely to the yak and tie a carabineer to it then latch it to the Pelican box. Best way to keep everything dry. You can use a dry bag too but the boxes are easier. I always bring a small soft cooler for drinks and goodies.

I don't take but a few lures when I am in the yak. I added a rod holder (actually, Josh did) right in front where you sit. That way, you can have one right in front of you if needed.

Ernie

#13 Sep-14-08 7:31PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Uh oh... never being one to be satisfied I had to keep looking. After more research I got my heart set on a Cobra Fish n Dive XF. Of course I scoured the web for any info I could find and then checked out all of the sellers. None on craigs list, but saw some on ebay. Bottom line, I bid too much for a brand new one with a lot of bells and whistles. I'm wondering, can you pull planer boards with a yak? I thing this one has 11 rod holders?  What have I done...... It's 12'6" L and 36" wide, 2" wider than the OK, and a 600 lb. weight limit.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/website444421006.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/website444421004.jpg

#14 Sep-15-08 3:38AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I've shopped from Backyard Boats in woodbridge and actually referred a friend there too. We both got really good deals in my opinion since Hobie's are very hard to come by used, and even on ebay they sell for MSRP. Backyard boat will cut you a deal and throw in some extras if they have older models in stock so give them a call. 

The Hobie's are great for keeping your hands free and for brute force (pullin jon boats through a run with strong current) but lacks speed. You'll feel like you're going pretty quick because of the crazy wake you make but most kayaks just breeze by.  I love my kayak and I know everyone I've had on my tandem have loved it too, with a few buying their own.

When I was in your position earlier this year, I cut my choices down to the prowlers, the hobies, or tarpons. In the end I found a killer deal on the hobie so I jumped on that.

kayakfishingstuff.com has a lot of articles and reviews on kayaks so you might want to try there.

#15 Sep-15-08 4:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bob,

That is a nice looking yak! I have a small set of planer boards that you can use, they are 1/2 a big as the ones that Jeff and the guys have! I take it you won the bid! We will need to get you up here for an UP float!

Andrew is right about the Hobies....I would eventually like to have one.

Ernie

#16 Sep-15-08 6:03AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ernie, all those U. P. floats of yours were rubbing salt in the wounds. Those posts more than anything else pushed me over the edge.  Even better than those trips, once I made up my mind, I remembered all of the places I've always wanted to go that weren't accessible before. I'm even hoping to hit some of the lakes and ponds that I rememberfishing with my dad.
There was no doubt about winning the bid, I was willing to go for the buy it now price if needed. Oh, and I was kidding about the planers, just couldn't believe a yak with 11 holders.

#17 Sep-15-08 6:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bob,

Always happy to push someone over the edge!! cool

Jeff Little, who owns http://www.blueridgekayakfishing.com/ carries seven (7) rods on his kayak!

I look forward to doing some of this yak fishing with you! Let me know when you get it, I need to use a vacation day on the UP while the water is still nice!

Ernie

#18 Sep-22-08 4:40AM

rit.05

Man, that Cobra FnD looks great!

I went down to Backyard Boats here in Woodbridge and got a decent deal (I think) on a used Hobie Outback.  It came with the Mirage Drive, seat, paddle, dry bag, rudder, etc.  All I need is an anchor system and a fishfinder.

I'm ready for the next float trip...

#19 Sep-22-08 5:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

Look out....we have an armada!!

That Hobie is a great boat....you will like it.

I'll start working on a float plan.

Ernie

#20 Sep-22-08 5:41AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

And the Hobie Army grows....

#21 Sep-22-08 6:08AM

rit.05

It's my first yak, so I am completely unbiased. If anyone wants to try out the pedal drive thing, have at it...

I'm trying to decide on the fishfinder. I'm concerned that a shoot-thru hull transducer won't have the definition I'm accustomed to. I'm looking at the Ram ball mounts that go into the mast hole on the Hobie's. We'll see.

#22 Sep-22-08 7:00AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

rit.05, have you been to kayakfishingstuff.com ? they have some really good articles on rigging the outfitter. One of my favorites and something I wish i could do, is the cooler with rod holders. It'll fit perfectly right behind your seat.

#23 Sep-22-08 11:00AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

How long before you have the nerve to try something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmEA9RFNy8w

#24 Sep-22-08 12:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

I know exactly where that is! I would do it but you need a dry suit and they are expensive. Waders won't cut it if you go overboard! That water is cold when those KK's (Kiptopeake Kows) are there!

Plus...most of the guys that do this are much younger!

Ernie

Board footer