Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-30-22 7:24AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Beaverdam Reservoir 4/29/22

I decided to give Beaverdam a try.  Got out early and it was chilly, but I was the first one out.

https://i.imgur.com/9Wq0Ib9.jpg

Locked and loaded for a 3 day wilderness adventure (or a day on the water).

https://i.imgur.com/D5Ukzkk.jpg

I planned the trip based on temps and wind.  A little warmer and less windy than what we had earlier in the week.  I moved downlake toward the dam slowly.  The plan was not to fight the wind with a potential low battery later.  It was beautiful out and I had the place to myself.  Water was pretty clear downlake.  I had a spinnerbait, chatterbait, tube and small swimbait tied on.  I fished for a couple of hours down near the dam with no bites.  I figured I had the wrong baits on and switched, trying a flashy swimmer underpin on a Keitech and a jerkbait.  These looked good, but still no bites.  I was just enjoying the day and remembering how many times I had fished this place since the later 1970's.  It looked very similar from the water, other than changes at the dam and a few visible houses.

I ate my lunch around 11:30 am and then tied on a Zoom speed craw on a SWM jig head.  After a few casts, I got bit near a boulder in shallow water.  Pics did not come out too well, but it was 15.5" LM.

https://i.imgur.com/edlpt29.jpg

I knew I had the right bait, but the wind was picking up and made boat positioning difficult.  I moved back along the shore and anchored in spots I thought would be promising.  I casted to one spot between a rock and one of the submerged trees and then saw my line shoot off to the left.  I set the hook and it was a strong fish.  I saw it was a LM about 18+ inches and over 3 pounds.  I fought it for a minute and as I reached for the net it jumped and threw the hook.

I worked my way back with the wind and tried a few spots, but it was getting windy.  I saw a few kyaks and paddle boarders and finally called it as I got across from the put in.  I did not bring any crankbaits, but that might have been a good option.  The place can be a challenge.

Nice day to be out and enjoy the water.

Last edited by drxfish (Apr-30-22 7:28AM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Apr-30-22 7:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Beaverdam Reservoir 4/29/22

Nice...

Paul N. and I talked about getting out to Beaverdam...it's been a while. I still have my Hobie yak which is perfect for that place. But I'm not going out in a yak with cold temps in the morning. I need some warm air to settle in around here.

Ahhh...the plague of nice fish getting off!  tongue

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-30-22 9:44AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Beaverdam Reservoir 4/29/22

Good thing the skunk left the boat

The SWM jig has been producing well, but now I'm looking for one on a smaller hook with less weight.  Bought a couple recently for a sample to motivate me into modifying a mold.  The motivation came at $1.75 a piece OUCH

Board footer