Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-21-21 12:09PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Finding the Depth for Stripers at LKA is Actually Scientific

So, some of you know that I am on the Lake Anna Advisory Committee (LAAC) and project manager for a scientific study on the Hazardous Algae Bloom (HAB) issue that has been plaguing the lake for the past 3+ years.  Some of the data being acquired gives me a little edge on where the stripers will be.  Everyone knows what a thermocline is, right?  You can't see it on a fish finder, but stripers like to be in the middle of it because of higher dissolved oxygen than above or below it.  So there is a calculation for some data on water density at different depths that gives something called "Relative Thermal Resistance to Mixing" or RTRM for short.  Here is the graph from the last 2 months:
https://i.imgur.com/sGmkPjH.jpg
Where the bars are the longest is where the thermocline is.  Essentially the thermocline is at 14-17 feet deep.  Although there is some resistance in the 19-24 foot range, another graph of dissolved oxygen shows little oxygen at that depth.  So.............this tells me what depth to concentrate my efforts..........14-17 FOW!  And that is where I have been fishing the last couple months.

More data to be acquired next week...........to keep up my fishing streak.........ohhh, and fix the HAB issue big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#2 Jul-21-21 1:22PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Finding the Depth for Stripers at LKA is Actually Scientific

That is some great info!

tight lines

#3 Jul-22-21 4:29AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I now understand why you're so successful.  This is so much better than blindly trolling around.  Very impressive.

#4 Jul-26-21 11:25AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Couldn't find any stripers in the usual spots Saturday or Sunday.  Went out with the contractor this morning to take measurements and samples.  Thermocline in that area is no more and gone with very low O2.  Conclusion........fish have moved down lake some...................to cooler water where there is more O2.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Jul-30-21 7:12AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

This is very cool!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer