Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-10-21 2:41PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 3/10/21 First Trip and Smallie of2021

I got out before 8am for my fist post-op trip.  I wanted to test my shoulder and hopefully catch a few fish.  Water levels were dropping after our last flood and it started just below 5 foot at POR.  The temps were showing almost 45 at Little Falls, but I saw temps between 42 and 44.  Water clarity was greenish and about 1 foot.  Some dirtier water was near shores from boat waves.

I ran upriver and tried the island rocks. but nada.  I went up to some deeper water near a bluff and anchored.  I got no bites on tube, jig and chatterbait.  I floated down a little finally got a bite behind a shoreline eddy with the red tube.  It was a healthy, 16"er.  He did the curl tail thing they do when it's cold.

https://i.imgur.com/OIP5Ozm.jpg

I got him turned around and against the side of the boat to straighten it out.

https://i.imgur.com/ZTV3luF.jpg

I caught it just after 10am, so I thought it might be a good day.  I started running upriver and I saw Ernie and George coming upriver.  I waved as they passed me. I ended up working an island for the next few hours and got no bites.  I ended up eating my lunch before heading back down river.  The weather was warming up nicely and the Spring Peepers started croaking.  I saw a hawk, a couple eagles and lots of ducks and geese.

I hit the area I caught my one fish at and worked the eddies more diligently.  I tried ned rigs, the  tube, jigs. cranks and even a jerkbait at one point.  I ended up stopping at a few more places, but could not get bit.  I was about to head back when I saw Ernie and George coming back down river.  We stopped and chatted a bit.  Ernie doubled my score.

As Ernie took off, I saw his measuring trough (bright chartreuse) fly out of his boat.  I was able to retrieve it and got it back to him at the ramp

Beautiful day and I am happy with how my shoulder performed.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Mar-10-21 2:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Upper Potomac 3/10/21 First Trip and Smallie of2021

Thanks for mentioning the peepers. They were out in full force. 

Glad you are back in form...

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-10-21 5:58PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Just the start, soon enough it'll be top water season!

#4 Mar-11-21 5:28AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

spring peepers?  I'm not familiar with the term I don't think.

#5 Mar-11-21 5:52AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Those are the little frogs that are the first to come out in the Spring.  Very loud, higher pitch.

#6 Mar-11-21 5:55AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

drxfish wrote:

Those are the little frogs that are the first to come out in the Spring.  Very loud, higher pitch.

In that case!  YES!!!  That's all I heard all afternoon yesterday for sure.  I have to admit that it was pleasant to hear "life" appearing around me for the first time this year in that form of sound.  Now I guess we'll wait for the cicadas to swarm! lol

#7 Mar-11-21 7:03AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Saw you running the river and it looked like your boat was popping a wheelie

#8 Mar-11-21 7:13AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, my boat is weighted to run level  at full throttle.  Mostly the motor, gas and battery.  That is why I put an extra battery in the front when I fish solo.

Board footer