Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-04-21 3:37PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Canada Alternative

OK fishing friends.  Tyler and I were planning to go to Lake of the Woods or Eagle Lake in Canada this summer.  But I am not convinced the COVID restrictions will be lifted by then.  So I think that is not going to happen.  Looking for ideas in the US that offer a similar experience.  Criteria:

1. Great fishing (not fly fishing) for SMB, LMB, other?
2. Boat provided or rental available with trolling motor and fishfinder
3. Accomodations on the water
4. Remote/scenic location (not looking to fish in the middle of a big city)
5.  Somewhere interesting in the US.

Places being considered, but would be interested in more specific ideas:

1.  Thousand Islands
2.  Lake Lanier (a little too populated)
3.  Something out West?
4.  Wataugua Lake, TN

Any thoughts?  And thanks for your ideas.

#2 Feb-05-21 5:31AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Canada Alternative

If canoe float an option, then the rivers of the Ozarks, rivers of Maine, or the US Boundary Waters around Eli

Kings River Outfitters put me on the Kings River for an 8 day float.  They also have a campground about 1/2 way through the float to stock up on supplies and get a hot shower

There's plenty of outfitters in Maine that'll rent canoes and shuttle

If not, last year some friends rented a pontoon boat on Lake Powell.  Although they fished, drinking was the priority

Another option is to hire Ogbudha and catch monster smallies, walleye, lake trout or sheephead on Erie.  Presque Isle Guide Service is his company and he's presenting at PRSC this month

Last edited by hookup (Feb-05-21 5:33AM)

#3 Feb-05-21 5:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

Ogbugha is code for Ben Haynes. I recommend him as well.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Feb-05-21 5:59AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

This is what throws me - not sure about who rents boats like this? 

Another alternative is a multi-day boat out of San Diego.   I use to take the Qualifier 105 or the Royal Polaris out of Point Loma and fish for up to 10 days in Baja.  Qualifier 105 is down for repairs and may never go out again, but the Royal Polaris is still operating.  I'm sure there's other too

#5 Feb-05-21 6:00AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Hmm sounds like Starrett Pointe.. I know the owner and maybe he could make it happen. LOL

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Feb-05-21 7:11AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Great ideas so far.
1.  I hadn't thought of Maine.  That could be a good choice.  To me the camping sounds great.  Have to see what Tyler thinks.
2.  I may have an unfair impression of Lake Erie.  Not into trolling or fishing around big cities.  But I hear it has huge SMB!  Ernie just called me to tell me the guide does not like to troll and Erie is not a big city.  OK....I will consider this one.
3.  I love the idea of fishing Baja, but am concerned that it falls into the same potential travel restrictions as Canada.  I will investigate that.  On Tyler's bucket list is to fish one of the Mexico lakes with huge LMB.  But can't really plan that with the whole COVID thing.
4.  I love fishing Starret Pointe and the Dragon!  A little too close to home for what I am looking to do with Tyler for a week.  Looking for a new adventure.

#7 Feb-05-21 7:48AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Lake Winnipesaukee, great smallie fishery and lots of other things to do, like drive up Mt. Washington white knuckled the whole time!

#8 Feb-05-21 7:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

Lake Winnipesaukee, great smallie fishery and lots of other things to do, like drive up Mt. Washington white knuckled the whole time!

Plus...take a small fly rod and catch some brookies right off the road.

#9 Feb-05-21 8:03AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

We also have shark , cobia , sea trout , reds and monster catfish. And maybe some carp if I get a handle on those.
Flounder are a lost cause since every one caught and that is many, is 1/4 inch short. Used to be I could limit my 12 flounder out 15 years ago.
I understand the need for something exotic on a destination trip.
I just got finished watching on YOUTUBE Guidehouse Montauk from 10 years ago.. That is how I got the idea to have guests down to the Piankatank..
My place I have always wanted to fish for a week is Caddo on the Texas border from a little town called Uncertain.

Capt Mike

#10 Feb-05-21 9:08AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

captmikestarrett wrote:

We also have shark , cobia , sea trout , reds and monster catfish. And maybe some carp if I get a handle on those.
Flounder are a lost cause since every one caught and that is many, is 1/4 inch short. Used to be I could limit my 12 flounder out 15 years ago.
I just got finished watching on YOUTUBE Guidehouse Montauk from 10 years ago.. That is how I got the idea to have guests down to the Piankatank..
My place I have always wanted to fish for a week is Caddo on the Texas border from a little town called Uncertain.

Capt Mike

OK so is Starrett Pointe open for long weekends other than just September???? Asking for a friend...or 3. big_smile

#11 Feb-05-21 9:28AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Here's a little eye candy from Ben
https://i.imgur.com/dCbcIFL.jpg

#12 Feb-06-21 7:58AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Junger wrote:

captmikestarrett wrote:

Capt Mike

OK so is Starrett Pointe open for long weekends other than just September???? Asking for a friend...or 3. big_smile

Yes with a little planning. Capt Dave still has to work but can use his vacation time.

Nice smallmouths

Thanks
Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Feb-06-21 7:59AM)

#13 Feb-06-21 4:46PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

If canoe float an option, then the rivers of the Ozarks, rivers of Maine, or the US Boundary Waters around Eli

Kings River Outfitters put me on the Kings River for an 8 day float.  They also have a campground about 1/2 way through the float to stock up on supplies and get a hot shower

There's plenty of outfitters in Maine that'll rent canoes and shuttle

If not, last year some friends rented a pontoon boat on Lake Powell.  Although they fished, drinking was the priority

Another option is to hire Ogbudha and catch monster smallies, walleye, lake trout or sheephead on Erie.  Presque Isle Guide Service is his company and he's presenting at PRSC this month

I looked up Kings River Outfitters and expected Maine, but you were referring to Arkansas?  Looks like a really beautiful river.  Is the fishing as good as they make it sound?

#14 Feb-06-21 4:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

I hope you like sleeping on shoreline pebbles...like George does!

#15 Feb-07-21 2:54PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

I looked up Kings River Outfitters and expected Maine, but you were referring to Arkansas?  Looks like a really beautiful river.  Is the fishing as good as they make it sound?

We hit the river when it was at flood stage.  Made interesting paddling with a canoe loaded to camp.  As the days went on, and the river dropped fishing got good for numbers, but the area's where we though held big fish, were at the beginning of the float.  We did get smallies up to 18".  The float was only a small part of the Ozarks.

Beautiful area

Did see one canoe with two women paddling nekid.  We met them at the camp sight later (they were clothed then) and their canoe was full of beer cans and a couple bottles of Jack.  We portaged the class III.  They ran it naked with no problems. 

Arkansas an interesting place - I found a lake side home, with a dock, granite counters, log cabin style for around $300k that was f'n awesome.  At the time, no local work available, but now w/ telecommuting, a possibility.

Last edited by hookup (Feb-07-21 2:57PM)

#16 Feb-07-21 4:52PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Thanks Hookup. Pics from the website looked really nice.  Gotta love uninhibited people/women!  This is one I will investigate because I am finding it hard to find a well outfitted fishing boat to rent at some of the places I am considering.  What time of year did you go?

#17 Feb-08-21 5:27AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

What time of year did you go?

Just after July 4th.  Drove out.  Could have made it in 2 days but decided to stop in Branson MS and check out the town and spend 1/2 day.  Got to AR early to scope things out.

#18 Feb-09-21 7:30AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.  In my research I remembered that Minnesota sticks up about 20 miles into the Lake of the Woods above International Falls.  Did a little research and found several fishing lodges that are right up on the norther border but still in the US and are up in the islands on the northern half of the lake.  Sunset Lodge (http://www.sunsetlodgeresort.com ) has very nice boats and seems to meet all the requirements.  They even have AC (ERNIE!!!).  There are a couple others in that same area. The trick is getting there without going through Canada.  That requires either a float plane or a 1-2hr boat ride from the south side of the lake.  A bit of "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" to get there.  But total price including lodging, food, boat, and all transportation for 7 nights looks like about $2K per person.  Not too bad!  Right now I think that is our destination.

BUT, I am definitely putting the lakes of Maine and the Kings River on my list of things "To Do".  And of course The Dragon is always on my list!!

Board footer