Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-22-08 6:30AM

Michael

Heading to Beaverdam to fish from kayak, any suggestions?

A fellow Ashburnite and I are planning to try Beaverdam early on Saturday (tomorrow).  Any suggestions in terms of location to fish, and suggested rigging or lures to try would be greatly appreciated.   

Last time we entered at Mt. Hope road, is there another way in?  This will be my second trip to Beaverdam.  Last Saturday, in the early a.m., I fished for three hours and only landed one largemouth around 1.5 pounds but had a great time on the kayak.  Thanks and good luck fishing.

#2 Aug-22-08 6:47AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Heading to Beaverdam to fish from kayak, any suggestions?

Try topwater around the points in the early a.m.  I seem to get one that way every time.  As 8 or 9 roles around I would suggest to start throwing deeper stuff in the coves, like grubs and spinnerbaits.  What kind of kayak do you have?  Do you like it?

#3 Aug-22-08 7:43AM

Michael

10' long 30" wide Riot about 35#, I use only for fishing.  Its a ton of fun, especially when you hook a fighter. I've also taken it to the Pavilion a couple of times - when my daughter doesn't want to fish.

#4 Aug-22-08 8:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

Michael,

Go back and take a look at some of past posts in '08...lots on Beaverdam but it was earlier this year.

Years ago, I would put in at the next road down but I have been told that road is now impassible.

I agree with Charlie about early and later. Throw at the rocks on the south end!!

I also suggest a very SLOW presentation.

Give us a report when you get back and good luck!!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Aug-22-08 1:05PM

Michael

Just looked at the map. Last time I used Mt. Hope, but Alford road also appears to go to the resevoir and is south of Mt. Hope.   Is is possible park and launch a kayak off the Alford Road area?  Thanks again.

#6 Aug-22-08 3:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

Michael wrote:

Just looked at the map. Last time I used Mt. Hope, but Alford road also appears to go to the resevoir and is south of Mt. Hope.   Is is possible park and launch a kayak off the Alford Road area?  Thanks again.

That's the one I am talking about. I have not used that road in years so it may be impassible. If you can get through, that puts you right on the good rocky area.

Ernie

#7 Aug-24-08 5:18PM

Michael

Results: I went out both Saturday and Sunday morning, caught one LM bass around 1.5-2 pounds on Saturday and nothing on Sunday.  Spoke with another guy around 10am on Saturday who said he had caught a couple and had a LM bass, approximately 3 pounds, on a stringer.   I still had a good time (it was better than the best day at work) and plan to go again as soon as the weather cools down. 

Thank you for all of the suggestions, without whcih I may not have even caught the one.

Michael

#8 Aug-24-08 6:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice job Michael! I suspect they will get active again now that the days are shorter and it will be cooling off!

Ernie

Board footer