Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-30-20 5:28AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Deer 2020 Turkey weekend

I went out the 1st week of November to clean up the trails and do some work at the family property with my tractor.  This is the first year I've owned a tractor and have to say that it is the best investment I have ever made.  My nephew came with me (because he had the trailer) and we literally drove down each trail, moved logs and ran the belly mower on and cleared up everything within a few hours.  The trails haven't looked this good in 15 years!

So we go back out on Saturday after turkey day and let everyone get used to the new decorating, but I don't think that matters....the rut is in for the smaller bucks and they are pushing does everywhere.  I take position in the front of the property and the view is awesome with the open fields.  As I get older, I realize I enjoy just watching the sunrise and the animals come to life.  As the fattest grey and red squirrels I've ever seen come out and hop around digging up nuts, a raccoon is making his way back from somewhere and climbing a tree 40 ft from me into a nest at the top (late night party). 

I can see right through the tree line as all the leaves have fallen, but it's all brown, so spotting a deer isn't easy like seeing a deer walking through in the snow when everything is white!  But, I do see deer and they are crossing into the neighbors field and as I stand to get a better look, a snort goes off right below me 50 yds away.....Busted!  A deer was making it's way over to me from the brushes and I didn't see it...but it definitely saw me, snorted, pounded it's hooves and ran off the other direction.

My nephew went to our Zack stand as we call it since my other nephew has taken ownership of that stand forever.  And he see's several come by but wasn't able to get a clean shot, so let them go by.  Our rule is simple...clean shot or no shot, only kill what you intend on eating, and only take what you need.  So, we tend to have a lot of cool moments of watching bears, foxes, opossums, rabbits, quail, turkey, etc..  The only exception to this rule are coyotes, but they haven't been around the last several years.

So the morning goes by without a shot, so we take an early lunch and do some work on the house and get back out by 1 pm.  This time, I go down to the river stand (across from the Marriot ranch if anyone is familiar with that area) and decide to sit and listen to the beautiful noises of the water flowing and possibly take a nap!

That's until 10 minutes when I hear crashing coming down the hill and I see several deer being pushed by a small buck.  They're a little far and running so fast that I pass, but then the buck turns and chases another pair of does in the opposite direction and the first pair of does stop and start walking back like....why did you stop chasing!  lol.  That's when the lead doe stepped into an open lane (I had just made several weeks before) and I took the shot at 80 yds.  The rear legs kicked out and it ran right at me with the 2nd deer following and another buck that came out of nowhere!  It crashed below me and never made it across the river.

double lung shot and partial heart...and it quietly passed in the river.  I honestly don't like taking life.  I don't find enjoyment out of it, but I tend to only take one per year.  As always, I thank it for it's life.  No way we're dragging it up a steep hill, so we break it down on the shore and bag everything up for the cooler.  Success!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jjHctaRiKd3uGeqv6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MmvabqR2cygefxSQ6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8csnDzw1QLPjkFRq9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVz4czMFrLd9PJne7

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Nov-30-20 6:07AM)

#2 Nov-30-20 7:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Deer 2020 Turkey weekend

Nice read...thanks!

And congrats on the shot!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-30-20 8:25AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Congrats on the deer. Thanks for sharing. That spot sounds like a nice place for a nap lol.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Nov-30-20 2:00PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

SPEEDIES!

Board footer