Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Nov-22-20 3:19PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: Someone- Anyone

Her you go Bob! Went out yesterday to bay bridge from the Bay City ramp (we moved to KI) and there was no current. On the way back I made an idle cast with a lure I had on a rod for a speckled trout trip and bang, hooked this 27”. Called it a day after. It was nice not to have wind for a change!

https://i.imgur.com/bp4sdnS.jpg

Last edited by Redfish12 (Nov-22-20 3:22PM)

#27 Nov-22-20 7:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Michael- Good on you guys on the move to KI...

Time to go fishin' again!

#28 Nov-23-20 5:34AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

hookup wrote:

I both cure & smoke

For curing, I'll rub the fish (usually salmon) with a mixture of vodka, ground pepper, and garlic.  Then wrap the fish in rock salt, sugar, lemon peel, fresh dill and let sit for 24 hours.  This draws out the moisture in the fish and for salmon makes lox.  Some then smoke the lox but I don't

For smoking, marinate and put in a smoker with a mild flavored wood - usually something from a fruit tree.

The marinade works great on pork too

LOX!  Now you're talking my language.  I grew up on that being from an Italian and Jewish neighborhood in Philly.  I'm gonna give that a try sir.  I have all sorts of apple wood from the moonshine barrels (Belmont Farms) and apricot wood from my family home.  I'll give those a try with the trout to start.

#29 Nov-23-20 6:45AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

No pix Red?

I was in Germany for 11 years and lox and cream cheese was a staple in my family

The lox doesn't get smoked or cooked - the salt/sugar mix does it all.  Lox then goes on everything bagels with cream cheese, chives, capers, and red onions - THICK

https://i.imgur.com/61zwyVW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ea8iuSM.jpg

The asian marinade mix fish gets smoked.  Mostly it goes on a Ritz but have made Swiss cheese and smoked fish omelets that are the bomb

#30 Nov-23-20 7:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

Man that looks good...just the way I like it. My favorite breakfast...put on rye toast, add lettuce and tomato and a squeeze of lime.

#31 Nov-23-20 11:25AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

This has been a very satisfying thread, everyone had something to offer. Lots to read, and Michael caught a nice striper.
Beats sitting here hiding from covid.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#32 Nov-23-20 12:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Michael's pic is up.

Flat calm conditions...lookin' good!

#33 Nov-23-20 1:26PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Really nice striper!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#34 Nov-24-20 4:26AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Osprey wrote:

This has been a very satisfying thread, everyone had something to offer. Lots to read, and Michael caught a nice striper.
Beats sitting here hiding from covid.

True, I'm trying to make it a daily routine for me to check in and post.  I have a lot of other things to offer as far as hobbies go, but I'll post that in the other Non fishing thread!  lol

#35 Nov-24-20 7:28AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow that looks deeeeelicious! Mind sharing the recipe? Also would it be safe to do this with regular store bought salmon?

hookup wrote:

No pix Red?

I was in Germany for 11 years and lox and cream cheese was a staple in my family

The lox doesn't get smoked or cooked - the salt/sugar mix does it all.  Lox then goes on everything bagels with cream cheese, chives, capers, and red onions - THICK

https://i.imgur.com/61zwyVW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ea8iuSM.jpg

The asian marinade mix fish gets smoked.  Mostly it goes on a Ritz but have made Swiss cheese and smoked fish omelets that are the bomb

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#36 Nov-24-20 10:54AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Red - nice fish!

FireM - I use regular store bought salmon allot - buy the salmon with the skin on (why? not sure, it just works better)

Recipe's

For curing, I'll rub the fish (usually salmon) with a mixture of vodka, ground pepper, and garlic.  Then wrap the fish in rock salt, sugar, lemon peel, fresh dill and let sit for 24 hours.  This draws out the moisture in the fish and for salmon makes lox

Wash in cold water, pat dry with paper towels, and cut as thin as you can

#37 Nov-25-20 6:47AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

ok.....weekend project for me~~~!!!!!

#38 Nov-25-20 6:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

Up front, I will say that I am not a fan of farm raised salmon unless it's from Norway. Saying that, what do you guys usually get?

Sometimes. Costco has wild caught at nice prices but in huge slabs. I usually satay away but now I may have a solution.

#39 Nov-25-20 7:54AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for sharing!

hookup wrote:

FireM - I use regular store bought salmon allot - buy the salmon with the skin on (why? not sure, it just works better)

Recipe's

For curing, I'll rub the fish (usually salmon) with a mixture of vodka, ground pepper, and garlic.  Then wrap the fish in rock salt, sugar, lemon peel, fresh dill and let sit for 24 hours.  This draws out the moisture in the fish and for salmon makes lox

Wash in cold water, pat dry with paper towels, and cut as thin as you can

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#40 Nov-25-20 8:22AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

U what do you guys usually get?.

Whatever the wife brings home from Sams Club

Board footer