Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-15-20 5:06AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Fall Fishing?

So down south, September is always the best month for fishing imho.  Red drum, king mackerel, whatever is running in the gulf just using a silver spoon.  But, in our region....I noticed is slows down.

Can someone shed some light on what I should be targeting this time of year and techniques?  This year has flown by so quickly (and I'm not complaining about that) I want to take more opportunities to get out there and enjoy the outdoors.  Although I have enjoyed my time in the yak I should catch something too!

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Sep-15-20 5:06AM)

#2 Sep-15-20 5:49AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Fall Fishing?

It depends on where you are fishing.  A lot of rivers in the Mid-Atlantic are not doing well now.  I have found September can be outstanding for big fish.  I have caught some on topwaters, such as a Whopper Plopper or Storm Chug Bug.  I have caught multiple big LM on crankbaits in an outing.  I am not a big jerkbait guy, but I have had some good days with George and Ernie in the Fall with them.  The dropping temps and shorter days trigger the fish.

I struggle more as the water cools more and the leaves fall.  Grass and leaves floating in the water make it harder.  I focused on more Fall/Winter fishing over the last few years.  Had some good days and some bad ones.  The key is to get out and learn what the fish want.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Sep-16-20 8:01AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

so true!  I intend on getting out more right now!  Also have a crab date next week since they're coming in hot and heavy.  Might as well get both bottom and top feeders! lol

#4 Sep-16-20 11:30AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Salt?  Fresh?  Lake?  River?

For rivers I slow down on top water and start fishing the mid to bottom sections more.  Also start avoiding fast water for slower water.  Also focus more on corner pockets, deep area's with structure,  or push water.  As the water cools I go lower and slower

#5 Sep-17-20 4:23AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I was thinking all the local/region areas for fishing, so Potomac, local ponds.  I'm south of you guys at Aquia.  Working with tides, but mostly it's when I have time!  Time is flying by, so I want to go out and at least have some chance of catching something other than hydrilla.
Appreciate all the input!!

Board footer