Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-31-20 1:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

8/31/20, Severn River

And just like that, August is over.

I wanted to take George over to Chesapeake Beach but E winds scared me off so on went to Truxtun Park.

The forecasts were all over the place, rain starting at noon, 2pm blah blah blah. What they did get right was the ESE winds which made the ride up and back *especially) a little sporty. The washing machine was active for sure.

Even though I knew the wall at the towers would be flat calm, we decided to ride all the way back to Brewer Pond since the tide was still up and I could get in easily enough without getting clogged up with grass.

George scored 1st!

https://i.imgur.com/q6hKtyt.jpg

And then . he had caught 6-7 of 'em, I followed suit!

https://i.imgur.com/5ybyQAU.jpg

We did well in Brewer but not like the old days. No bib boys around. George caught a 10"er in here.

https://i.imgur.com/w8R5xGz.jpg

The tide was coming out and the rain was acomin' so we went down to Martin's Pond.

Interestingly, where John did especially well between the trees and docks, we only caught a few. I was disappointed.

We then went to the rock point and caught a few but still very few were biting.

George looked up and saw a bait ball and immediately threw at it and got rewarded.

https://i.imgur.com/QB1JcXE.jpg

That was fun on the UL.

We went to the back of the creek and picked off a few here and there but still slow (in my opinion).

Then I told George we would work and area that John and I hit but caught few...

Not this time! We had many doubles and at one time we had 3 doubles in a row. It was on! And then it started to rain but just lightly. But we put on our rain jackets just in case.

George got the biggest at  10.5"!

https://i.imgur.com/Xxucr6s.jpg

Lots of fish were caught on this shoreline.

All told, I believe we were over 100.

The wind was picking up, more rain clouds were coming so we decided to run back to Spa Creek and finish there.

Oh yeah, while running in the Severn, we sucked in some floating grass  so George was clearing it when DNR. Came by. He asked if we were OK and I told him yes. Then we chatted as he ran my numbers and asked how the perch fishing was. Nice guy and glad he came by although we didn't really need assistance.

Man, did we get wet while running back! And it was not from the rain. It was very sporty

We decided to call it a day but the boat was salt soaked so we left the cover off so that the rain could wash it off on the way home.

Once we stowed everything away, George brought out the homemade sammies (turkey, spiral ham, Swiss cheese and his condiment goodies). That sammie hit the spot!

https://i.imgur.com/14darLD.jpg

Long ride home as we encountered 3-4 accidents on the drive back.

But we had a great day of perch fishing!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-31-20 2:26PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 8/31/20, Severn River

Looks like y’all missed most of the rain.  I got everything you missed that was wet!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Aug-31-20 2:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

The rain came later and is just now letting up. But I don't think it was a quarter inch.

#4 Aug-31-20 2:47PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

We were lucky with the rain.  Mostly sprinkles and light. 

We were not lucky in the wash machine - waves breaking everywhere

Ernie has a special technique for removing weeds from the jet in-take.  He asked me to grab his belt and hold on as he hiked out and got the weeds.  Trusting guy, isn't he ;-)

Fishing was mostly steady the whole time and size was better this trip than the last trip we took

Great day and thank you Skipper

#5 Sep-01-20 6:09AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

One trick I use to clear weeds is to get forward movement as fast as possible (sometimes not possible) and kill the motor while in gear. The rushing water will sometimes clear the intake vent grill of weeds. Also try reverse and forward a few times if not floating in the weeds.

But sometimes you need to hold the belt like you did. When ever I did this I always had a fear of a big bull shark grabbing my arm.. Oh dang now you will think that thought now..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Sep-01-20 6:37AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Glad y'all got some pullage. That sandwich looks yummy!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 Sep-01-20 6:44AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report and beautiful fish!  Congrats, guys!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#8 Sep-01-20 3:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

Capt. Mike, I do those tricks. Sometimes that grass gets in there tight. We 1st dislodged it (George did) with the butt end of the net. Worked a few times. The last time was belt time. I was safe. There are no bull sharks in the Ches Bay system (he says so as not to be fearful)!

#9 Sep-01-20 3:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

firemunkee wrote:

Glad y'all got some pullage. That sandwich looks yummy!

George makes quality sammies...

#10 Sep-02-20 5:52AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

George makes quality sammies...

Appreciate that

Normal store bought sandwiches never have enough meat or cheese on them

Board footer