Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-02-20 8:56PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 7/2/20

Took my dad out at 3PM to Mattawoman, high tide was at 6:30PM, so I figured it should be a decent evening, and better than tomorrow because it's supposed to be a scorcher and I'm sure there will be a lot boaters tomorrow with people having the 3rd off. When we got to the ramp, there was only one trailer in the lot. When we left, it was full....UFO boats everywhere.

We first go hit the Big Pond since we had success there the last time. It didn't work out so well this time around, water temps were 88 there and it was sunny with almost no wind. My dad had one small hit on his experimental weedless hollow body fish frog lure. After a couple hours with no signs of any life, I turn the trolling motor to high and cut through back to the main channel. It was about 5PM, and I figured I would motor all the way to the back of the creek to the hidden entrance to the Ponds that's only accessible at high tide and fish my way out with the outgoing tide. Sounded like a solid plan to me and when we got there the water temp was 86...seemed perfect, but it didn't work out so great back there too. I did have a small snakehead on, but he jumped and spit the hook, I got a good look and he couldn't have been bigger than 14".

I could tell my dad was getting tired from the sun and heat, and we were losing water fast. I wanted him to get a fish, so I put him up front and I push poled us along the back edge, the hydrilla was already thick so I couldn't use the motor. I tried to play fishing guide and told him where to cast, but you know my dad...he does what he wants and didn't really throw to where I suggested.

It's about 8PM and we make it out of the Ponds, but I didn't give up yet. We troll along in the channel back toward the launch and I throw at an opening in the grass and pads and I see a wake coming toward the frog, I let it have it and ended up with a 4lb snakehead. No pic, my dad wanted to keep it so I bludgeoned it up pretty good. The next stop was the big beaver dam past the bike trail wall. We stop there and I see movement on the back left. I throw and something follows but doesn't commit. I tell my dad to throw there and nothing hits. So I throw to the right and this LMB slams the toad as soon as it hits the water.

https://i.imgur.com/sNEgRw6l.jpg

So both fish came in the last 30 minutes, and when we get back to the dock, it's dark. I was hoping my dad would get a fish today, but his streak came to an end. He told me he prefers mornings, so I'll probably stick to that plan with him going forward.

Last edited by Junger (Jul-02-20 8:56PM)

#2 Jul-03-20 4:41AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Mattawoman 7/2/20

At least you caught a couple.  Evenings can be tough.  It got hotter and coming off in the dark is no fun.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jul-03-20 5:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Mattawoman 7/2/20

I fish evenings...but only with Capt. Mike.

We have to do something about those UFO boats. They are decimating the sportfish!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer