Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-12-20 12:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

6-12-20, UP

After my boat got some gaseous indigestion after fishing with Paul on the 3rd, I decided to take it down to Jim Starkey, who built the boat. I told him to check things out with the gas as well giving it (and the trailer) a once over in anticipation for my NY trip on June 20.

I got the boat back yesterday and wanted to give it a good shakedown as Jim found nothing wrong with the fuel system. He said it ran great and I concur. We ran it good and it it ran great.

Since we put in at POR...

https://i.imgur.com/y7aC8aC.jpg

...and ran to Lander at full throttle, we fished on the way back.

The scenery is spectacular with lots of targets. We hit all the targets in the right places...

https://i.imgur.com/LbfTdlk.jpg

... and this was our only reward.

https://i.imgur.com/Jzdqq0X.jpg

I even ran down river to another target and nothing.

We got off the water just after noon and stopped at the Deli on The Rocks for lunch and were rewarded with some pretty good food.

Beautiful day out. It did get windy at the end but no humidity!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jun-12-20 1:12PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 6-12-20, UP

Nice.  Glad the boat is ok.  Good little workout and a smallie!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Jun-12-20 4:34PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

On Wednesday I fished from POR downstream.   Only got one small smallie.  I did get some good video of 1 of 2 black rat snakes I saw on a small island while taking a break.  The second seemed to be following the scent of the first.

#4 Jun-13-20 12:07PM

darbrewe

I hate seeing these scant UP reports. I remember how good that river could be. Gone now.

#5 Jun-13-20 6:16PM

Ernie
Administrator

Here's Ken Penrod's June 7, 2020 rant, I mean, report:

UPPER POTOMAC RIVER: (Brunswick to Seneca); ½ (the lowest rating ever); mid 70s; perfect color; 3.8 at Point of Rocks with a little up and down next few days.

Thursday was the “perfect day” for fishing; partly cloudy, steady levels, superb water color, barometer under 29.8, no traffic, aquatic hatch and this river level offered every conceivable pattern. I know every spot on this section, every one.

I had a very good, river-savvy client with me and we caught TWO smallmouth bass.

I’m asking DNR Secretary Jennie Haddaway-Riccio to immediately take the following actions:

Immediate Catch & Release until smallmouth bass and other aquatic inhabitants stabilize; thorough and complete investigation into disease and sexual capability of smallmouth bass spawning ability; restocking plan and official explanation of last year’s failed stocking attempt that included smallmouth bass caught by DNR from the Potomac, taken to DNR hatcheries to spawn—and “0” results.

You can help this cause by calling her at 410-260-8101.

MD doesn’t have a plan for any resource except the Chesapeake Bay—and if you noticed, those resources are in more trouble. Rockfish are limited again, geese are limited again, oysters are, well, ruined and watermen are running all over black bass spawning sites to catch anything. They are desperate too.

The Potomac is 385 miles long, all Maryland property, except for 11 miles deeded (mistakenly) to the District of Columbia. MD DNR does nothing to protect this river and other waters UNLESS, it’s for the “Cash Cow Bay.”

I have given up on working with MD DNR Fisheries after so many years of successfully protecting MD water resources. They deflect their inability by using “Committees” that simply are incompetent. Their Black Bass Advisory Committee is a slap in your face.

I call all of you out also because fishermen are the first to bitch on social media but the last to act on doing something of consequence about it. PA’s fishing license sales are dismal, bass boat sales are in the tank and if you haven’t noticed, MD’s top bass boat dealer, Mare Inc, has closed his Thurmont business. MD does nothing for inland fishing (other than trout) and related business.

#6 Jun-14-20 4:47AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
Do you agree with him? Should we try to lobby the DNR? Any ideas?
Bruce

#7 Jun-14-20 5:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

MD DNR tried and failed to hatch some smallies last year. They tried again this year and were successful.

I know guys who lobby MD DNR for stripers and they are frustrated as DNR went against the majority of responses on one issue.

Nature will takes it's course.

#8 Jun-17-20 12:35PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Board footer