Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-30-20 6:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

COVID-19 Mitigation Plan

A friend of mine is a guide down in FL.

This is what he has posted for all his clients:

Our world as we have known it has changed drastically due to the pandemic, and as we adjust to the new norm it is up to us to help mitigate the spread of this virus. With this said, we plan to open for business May 4th utilizing the following protocols for the safety of both clients and crew for the time being. These measures will only be temporary and will be adjusted as time allows:

1. Clients will be required to bring their own food and drink for the day and crew and client food will be stored in separate locations.

2. All clients and crew will wear facial covers (buffs)when social distance cannot be maintained.

3. If clients are not from a family unit, social distancing must be maintained as much as possible. In this situation a maximum of two anglers per charter will be enforced.

4. If clients are a family unit, social distancing is not required, and face coverings can be removed.

5. Hand sanitizer will be available on deck for all to use.

6. Both the vessel and tackle will be sanitized after each charter.

7. Clients who are not within a family unit will not share tackle (rods and reels).

8. No clients or crew members displaying symptoms of COVID-19 will be permitted to board vessel.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Apr-30-20 9:51AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: COVID-19 Mitigation Plan

Seems very reasonable.

#3 Apr-30-20 10:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Junger wrote:

Seems very reasonable.

I will do most of that when I go out with a buddy except it will be BYOHS. Hand sanitizer is too hard to find!

Wiping down areas that get touched after a trip will be a shared process.

#4 May-01-20 5:13AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I have adopted this plan starting May 15th.

Capt Mike.

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#5 May-06-20 5:07AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

This is an excerpt from MD DNR.

Charter boats and commercial fishermen, which are regulated as part of the food supply chain, can continue operating but must abide by social distancing guidelines and may not have more than 10 individuals (including captain and crew) on the vessel at any time. Following U.S. Coast Guard guidelines, the department recommends charter boat operators consider implementing additional safety protocols such as regular disinfecting of surfaces and using personal protective equipment.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 May-06-20 5:30AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Junger wrote:

Seems very reasonable.

I will do most of that when I go out with a buddy except it will be BYOHS. Hand sanitizer is too hard to find!

Wiping down areas that get touched after a trip will be a shared process.

Ernie,  I went to Belmont Farms Distillery and picked up a bunch of sanitizer.  Is it 150 proof moonshine?  yes.  Does it smell like corn? yes.  Is it more expensive?  yes.  Can you drink it?  no (not unless you want a bad stomach ache).  Does it work?  I don't know, but I always have a smile when I spray it!!

#7 May-06-20 9:59AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I would not drink it. 

Moonshine needs to be at a very close temperature range to become ethanol and to be drinkable

I was reading recently that the laws of distilleries were exempted for them to make the sanitizer and part of the exemption required them to make it non-drinkable.  I'm assuming that means the sanitizer came out at a lower temperature and became methanol

#8 May-06-20 11:39AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Distilleries are prohibited from making methanol and it is a different process anyway ("wood alcohol").  It is ethanol.  Ethanol can be produced at any temperature above room temp.  It distills just below the boiling point of water and will "azeotrope" some water over with it.  I've made my share of ethanol big_smile .

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#9 May-06-20 12:38PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

Distilleries are prohibited from making methanol and it is a different process anyway ("wood alcohol").  It is ethanol.  Ethanol can be produced at any temperature above room temp.  It distills just below the boiling point of water and will "azeotrope" some water over with it.  I've made my share of ethanol big_smile .

Not argueing at all, in fact, being a brewer, I'd like to know the next step

But I do read up allot and have visited my share of home made and store bought mash tuns and thumper barrels

I learned the temps gotta be in the 165-175 range as the steam converts to liquid or you have methanol (or what the boys would say stuff that'll make's blind).  If in that range the shine is good (ethanol) to drink and doesn't have that burnt taste.  One of the reason s why the shiners are superstitious and toss the first container

Or at least so I've heard ...

edit.  Bottom line both would work to sanitize Ernies boat

Last edited by hookup (May-06-20 12:39PM)

#10 May-06-20 1:48PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Anything that contains sucrose (i.e. table sugar) as the primary sugar will always produce ethanol and no methanol.  Fermentation at or above room temp will produce only ethanol.  Distillation temps vary, but critically depends on how fast the temp rises during distillation.  First cut will always have a lot of water because the equilibrium of distillation has not been achieved yet.  There are plenty of graphs to be found on the internet that show the azeotrope equilibrium of ethanol/water at various temps.  Essentially, all grass-like seeds (corn, rye, etc., even sugar cane) produce ethanol from fermentation.  Virtually all woody shrubs/trees produce methanol through a very different mechanism.  This is the end of the chemistry lesson big_smile .

#11 May-06-20 1:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

Wait...did you do some of this ('shine) when you were in the hills?     lol

#12 May-06-20 2:53PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Wait...did you do some of this ('shine) when you were in the hills?     lol

Made a lot of "ethanol" in the last 40 years since the Hills.  Still make the best pepper Vodka! cool

Oh yeah.......potatoes make ethanol too!

Last edited by Curly (May-06-20 2:54PM)

Board footer