Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-17-20 3:00PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Historical Information on Spring Shad Run

Is there information on when these have been in the past?  I am interested to see how much earlier they are now than in decades past.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Apr-17-20 3:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Historical Information on Spring Shad Run

Not sure if they are earlier now than in the past. I don't know. Is that something you know of?

In my experience (since mid 80's) and based on what I've heard from river rats like Mike Bailey, Mike Alper, Mark Binsted, Gordon Leisch, the Fletcher's  etc, the shad arrive in late March and stay until early May. The mileage may differ depending on the winter temps (which affect water temps).

Not sure if the run it has moved up...

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-18-20 7:24AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks, Ernie.  That's close enough.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Apr-19-20 11:12AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I've always known the shad run to correspond with pre-spawn for smallies - which is why I've never targeted shad

#5 Apr-19-20 11:15AM

Ernie
Administrator

Here is a response from one of the true river rats:

Your email has reminded me to look for an old spreadsheet that Mike Bailey, I think, started many years ago to mark the first shad catches. I want to update it with Shad Report information going back over a decade. We have consistently honored the first catches in the reports but should have kept better track of them.

Yes, the runs have started earlier than they used to, especially after mild winters like this past one. I don’t remember seeing too many American shad until mid-April back in the early 70’s, but now it's a surprise if some aren’t caught by April 1. For American shad, we’ve had great days early in April but the peak of the run still seems to occur at about the same time—last week of April / first week of May. Some years that may have been due to high water earlier in the run.

Hickory shad arrive only slightly earlier than they used to after a normal winter. Now both species are usually first-caught within days of each other by mid-March, as long as water temps are around 50 degrees. Better fishing comes when temps are above 57 degrees.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Apr-21-20 2:57PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

2012 had a warm Feb and early March and the shad were there in mid-March.

#7 Apr-24-20 6:55AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Wish I could fish for shad....missed out this year but next year will be great..
Have been fishing with the loverly bride for trout and had some luck catching dinner.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer