Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-14-19 7:29PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Mattawoman 7/14/19

Last time fishing here was two weeks ago, and wow, the hydrilla has really come on strong. My dad and I got to the ramp at 7:20AM, and it wasn't full yet. Unfortunately, a poor guy had a flat on his trailer and it was unhitched in the upper lot, while his boat was tied to the floating dock. He must have gone to get help, but both trailer and boat were still there by the time we left.

Water was really muddy on the main creek, and we were losing water fast. I was able to get into some pads across from the Beach that had some clean water before it go too skinny. It was already pretty hot by 8:30AM, and I got this LMB under some heavy tree shade on a Keitech paddletail.
https://i.imgur.com/0UuMJeal.jpg

Had to jettison to the main creek around 9AM and fish the edges, but it was just so muddy. Tried a frog, swimjig, chatterbait, paddletail, but no bites along the channel before the bike wall. My dad throws on a white buzzbait with a toad trailer into a small cut in the grass and something explodes....but misses. My dad said it was a snakehead, and from the sound of it, it probably was. Then a Nitro Z9 250HP is coming in hot, and on plane toward us....the guy slows down to maybe 8mph, goes past us a bit and then guns it back on plane at the bike wall.....all the pads and grass were swaying back and forth as if there were 50 mph winds...thanks guy. No other action for the rest of the day and left around 11:30AM. It wasn't humid, but there was no wind and the sun was just tortuous.

Oh, and saw a skinny fella at the intersection of 210 and Livingston...without the bucket hat and guidewear, Mike looks like he's about 180lbs!

#2 Jul-15-19 7:33AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Mattawoman 7/14/19

Good to see you as my loverly bride and I where on the hunt for Jumbo #1s for our evening meal. We found them and paid a pretty penny for them. But dang they where good crabs.

My wife will be cooking the weekend at the Pointe BTW.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Jul-15-19 8:46AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

captmikestarrett wrote:

Good to see you as my loverly bride and I where on the hunt for Jumbo #1s for our evening meal. We found them and paid a pretty penny for them. But dang they where good crabs.

My wife will be cooking the weekend at the Pointe BTW.

Capt Mike

I had crabs from Cole's in Easton, MD two weekends ago when visiting the MDES, $260 for a bushel of jumbo Miles River crabs. That's a bargain compared to trying to get even a dozen jumbos in the DC metro. And they didn't do the "top layer jumbos, stuff jimmies underneath" Bethesda Crabhouse bushel trick...they were all legit 6-6.6" bigguns. I can't remember the last time I had crabs that good except the ones I caught myself at NAS PAX when I was a teenager. I think I may have to drive there to buy a bushel at some point this summer.

Looking forward to Mrs. S' culinary expertise at the Pointe....I recall her pasta salad with the hint of olives, last year I believe.

#4 Jul-16-19 7:10AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Man you guys are making me want to go crabbing. Definitely bringing some gear next time I go to the bay.

tight lines

Board footer