Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-28-19 3:43PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Upper Potomac 3/28/19

This morning was a little cold, so I decided to hit the water at around 9am.  The air temps were to rise from 40's to low 60's with a south wind by the afternoon.  Water level was about 5.4 at POR and the water was pretty stained with leaf debris mixed in the water.  I was excited to try out my new trolling motor.  I got a 68 pound thrust Seamax transom mount to replace my 55 pound Minn Kota Traxxis that fried.  The TM worked great.  It is powerful and smooth.  It also has a voltage meter on the top to see how the battery is holding up. 

I hit a nearby shoreline eddy first and then ran upriver after no bites.  I fished a flooded island and ended up catching one 14"er that knocked slack in my line with the chatterbait.
https://i.imgur.com/VU5OFUV.jpg
I did not catch anything else and the water was pretty muddy there, so I floated the next island down next.  I was able to use the drag chain instead of the anchor.  I tried chatterbaits, hair jig with trailer, tube, keitech swimbait, crankbaits and even a spinnerbait.  I spent most of the day floating the island and did not catch anything there. 

In the afternoon I decided to move down to the next island.  I was able to pick up one really dark 16.75" smallie behind a log near shore on a jig with a Paca chunk.
https://i.imgur.com/jklFeai.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LvIjwhF.jpg
I floated to near the end of the island with no more bites, but I did see a mink, which I have never seen in this section.  The afternoon warmed up nicely, but the fishing was slow.  I ran into the crew fiasco trying to take out, which cost me about 15 minutes.  Finished fishing about 5pm.

Last edited by drxfish (Mar-28-19 4:20PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#2 Mar-28-19 4:33PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Re: Upper Potomac 3/28/19

Nice ones John, looking forward to more reports!

#3 Mar-29-19 7:19AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Really nice smallies, thanks for the report.

tight lines

#4 Mar-29-19 11:25AM

darbrewe

Fished Goose this morning for a few hrs. The largies were smashing chatterbaits and the smallies were hitting tubes. The creek was a lovely shade of olive,
I bugged out when 3 jets arrived on plane within 5 minutes of each other.

#5 Mar-29-19 12:37PM

Ernie
Administrator

darbrewe wrote:

I bugged out when 3 jets arrived on plane within 5 minutes of each other.

Not me!

Good job on getting bit!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Mar-31-19 10:29AM

darbrewe

I got nothing against Jets on the river, but when 3 show up and start casting to the same 25 ft of bank that i am (in a kayak) it's time to go.
Plus I caught all the fish there haha.

#7 Mar-31-19 10:48AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

darbrewe wrote:

Plus I caught all the fish there haha.

big_smile

#8 Mar-31-19 11:52AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Darbrewe, good catching on Friday!  I did not get that far up, but sounds like you had them dialed in.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer