Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-11-08 4:22AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

7-10-08 Occoquan Reservoir ( Fountainhead )

Well, for those of us who really love this sport of fishing, few things are better than being invited to go with a professional guide to a proven " honey hole"; that is what I did on Thursday. Dan Grulke called me and told me that he had " tore up the crappie in both size and numbers with two citation fish in the bunch." I was really looking forward to seeing this new spot.

We were on the lake at 6:00AM and headed down stream to the SPECIAL spot! Since he knew where we were going I had him do the driving. Well, I became a little suspicious when he slowly approached a fallen tree with a somewhat puzzled look and announced " I think this is it." THINK---don't get me all excited about a new PROVEN PRODUCER and then forget where it is! Well, in defense of my guide, the ONE crappie that we caught was a nice thirteen incher. We were limited on time since Dan had to be off the lake by ten o'clock in order to get to work on time.  Now I'm feeling pressure since I had ( based on the fishing report) already promised fish to my friends. At this point I suggested we try a couple of my old spots. We did and picked up a few more. Now--we are approaching the ten o'clock deadline and we are a few fish short of a fish fry! On the way back to the ramp Dan remembered a spot that had been good for both large crappie and bass in the past. We stopped long enough to catch several respectable crappie and Dan landed one bass that was about two and a half pounds, bringing the final tally to about twenty crappie and four bass.

#2 Jul-11-08 4:49AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 7-10-08 Occoquan Reservoir ( Fountainhead )

Carl,

I think you could teach that youngster a thing or two or three! If anyone can find some slabs...it will be you!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-11-08 6:08AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Over the course of the many threads, I have seen multiple references to a fish fry including crappie. How are these fish scaled, fileted, and cooked? Are there any secret recipes? What size crappie would be too small (i.e. not worth the effort) to keep and cook?

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Jul-11-08 6:10AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

Nice.  Finding crappie during the middle of summer can be a challenge.

When do Crappie begin heading back into the shallows? I heard they do that either late summer or early fall. It was fun catching them in the spring..

#5 Jul-12-08 5:04AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I find schools of mid water crappie in coves with deep water as a summer pattern. But they move around so darn much it is hard to pattern them.

Get a small balloon and attach it with a long piece of mono to the first fish you hook up. And follow the balloon all day to get a mess of them.

I think the best method for summer crappie is trolling. Put two maribu jis about two feet apart with the bigger one on the bottom. Slow troll back coves and slow points.

Put out as many rods as you can handle. Here is a good tip: If fishing by yourself use a bobber so when you stop the lines will not snag the bottom..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer