Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-02-18 11:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

Call for volunteers for Casting Call on April 28

Hello Friends,

I attended the Lefty Kreh Tie Fest last weekend and began thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a fly tying activity this year at the DOEE Family & Youth Casting Call on Saturday, April 28. As you are probably aware, this event began in 2007 and used to be held at Fletcher’s Cove, but in the last two years it has been held in different locations due to the fact that the canal has been under construction.

This year we are holding the event outside the Aquatic Resources Education Center in Anacostia Park. During the course of the day, staff biologists will be giving tours of the aquarium, 15-20 education partners will be providing environmental education activities under a 60’ x 30’ tent, and volunteers will provide fishing instruction to youth as an introduction to this sport.  Last year we had over 500 families attend during the course of the day!

This year, I am hoping to incorporate more fly fishing activities. I would like to have a few fly tying stations and a few instructors on hand to coach participants to learn a basic fly pattern (Woolly Bugger or San Juan worm). I have purchased all of the equipment but still need a few instructors to help the kids that stop at this activity. We generally see young families with children in elementary and middle school. I should also mention that all children are accompanied by an adult.

If you would like to volunteer for this event activity or help out in some other capacity, please let me know and I will send you information on how to register online to volunteer. The event runs from 10 am to 3 pm so there are half and full day volunteer options. Box lunches will be provided to full day volunteers.

Please let me know if you have any questions while you consider volunteering. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Best Regards,

Teresa Rodriguez

Chief, Wildlife Management Branch
Fisheries & Wildlife Division
Department of Energy & Environment
1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
202-535-2276

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, regular fishing volunteers are also needed......

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer