Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-21-17 11:27AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

Opinion - Old Town Predator MK

After my first fishing kayak venture, I think I'm set on buying a fishing kayak rather than a jon boat for the time being. The reason for the fishing kayak is because it'd be easier to store in my garage, and easy to transport.

The things I didn't like the most about a paddle kayak is that, I had to paddle about 40 minutes just to get to a spot I wanted to fish, then about the same getting back...that's almost 2 hours of lost fishing time! I think that can be remedied by a motorized kayak. Also, I didn't like that I couldn't pull up to a spot and try to stay stationary. I think that can be remedied by the micro pole.

So looking at my options, I think I'm in the market for the Old Town Predator MK. I like how I can easily pull up the motor console to get in and out of the dock or weeds, and also it's foot steering capability.

Any thoughts on other kayaks I should check out?

#2 Aug-21-17 2:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Opinion - Old Town Predator MK

I like the Hobie peddle yak as well as the Ocean Kayak 13 Prowler. VERY stable and fast boats.

To me putting a motor on a yak is ...well, I don't know what it is but you can get a small jon boat and do the same stuff.

Good luck in our search....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-21-17 3:04PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

I've definitely considered a jon boat with a good trolling motor, but it just comes down to storage and hauling. My neighborhood HOA won't allow a trailer and boat visible, and it'd be too big for my garage.

#4 Aug-22-17 4:19AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I hear you on the motor thing (and the hoa thing), but maybe leave it as an option for future mods.  I think another consideration is your ability to stand.  It would be nice to get one where you could stretch the legs out.  I can do a trolling motor mod on my feelfree lure, but haven't had the desire for that yet.  I also use a 8ft fiberglass pole to keep in me place ($15).  easy to tether and just tie it down on the opposite side of the paddle!  Just some thoughts.

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Aug-22-17 4:20AM)

#5 Aug-22-17 5:46AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

If I were in the market for a new kayak it would definitely be a Hobie style with pedals. My paddle yak has been great, but using my legs for propulsion would make fishing so much easier. I hear you on the lost fishing time too. I got my kayak to fish, not paddle!

As far as motors, a trolling motor and battery adds a lot of weight to a kayak, and is just one more accessory that I would have to pack in the car. I just wouldn't want to deal with that.

Really though if you think that setup is your best option, and you have the money, go for it!

tight lines

#6 Aug-22-17 6:41AM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

I hear you on the motor thing (and the hoa thing), but maybe leave it as an option for future mods.  I think another consideration is your ability to stand.  It would be nice to get one where you could stretch the legs out.  I can do a trolling motor mod on my feelfree lure, but haven't had the desire for that yet.  I also use a 8ft fiberglass pole to keep in me place ($15).  easy to tether and just tie it down on the opposite side of the paddle!  Just some thoughts.

Yes, I would definitely like to stand while fishing on calm water to sight fish. I saw videos of people easily standing on the Predator. Do you use some kind of strap to hold the pole to the kayak kind of like a manual power pole?  Or kind of just hold the pole while fishing?

Bryan wrote:

If I were in the market for a new kayak it would definitely be a Hobie style with pedals. My paddle yak has been great, but using my legs for propulsion would make fishing so much easier. I hear you on the lost fishing time too. I got my kayak to fish, not paddle!

As far as motors, a trolling motor and battery adds a lot of weight to a kayak, and is just one more accessory that I would have to pack in the car. I just wouldn't want to deal with that.

Really though if you think that setup is your best option, and you have the money, go for it!

I like the Hobie, but I think the Old Town just has a couple features that makes it a tad better for my purposes. The Predator also comes in a pedal system, but the nice feature is that you don't have to remove the whole pedal drive when launching or if you get into weeds. It has a spring loaded cantilever that locks in an upward angle. The Minn Kota (Predator MK) powered console is only $200 more than the Predator Pedal, but you have to buy a battery separately, but it does come with a nice battery box that fits snug behind the kayak. I also like Old Town's flip up fin, and one way water scupper plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkLx_4yV6o

But....I found storage if I get a jon boat. My sister lives in the Mayaone Reserve in Accokeek and she said I could store on her property. It'd be a nice spot since it's close to a lot of launching spots. I think I need to start a Kayak vs. Jon Boat post....I'm conflicted.

Last edited by Junger (Aug-22-17 6:41AM)

#7 Aug-22-17 6:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

Yesterday, rather than anchoring, I stayed in place by lightly pedaling. Did that all morning and never felt it. Of course, I do bike and walk a lot so that may be why.

If you are going to float a river, you need to paddle and not pedal. Hobie makes a yak that can do both. The Hobie PA is too big and wide for floating rivers but they have other models, just can't remember which.

#8 Aug-22-17 8:31AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

If you journey to the dark side, you'll need multiple kayaks if you want to fish a variety of waters

Currently, I have two.  Both are for river floating because I'm not interested in green carp (l/m) in flat water (lakes).  One's for day tripping and ones for river camping.  Also have an Outcast pontoon boat for when the rapids get big - a lazy boy on the water.

#9 Aug-22-17 9:59AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I've been wanting to try the pedal system.  I'm a bike rider from way back, so that's more my comfort and I think it goes in reverse too.  Anyway, the pole is just tethered to a short 5-6 ft line to keep you in place.  It's ideal of shallow areas of course!  I used to own a vhull 14 ft aluminum and left it at my friends house....the bad thing is you can't work on it when you have time and can't really protect it from the elements.  At least that's the way I always felt.  I personally wouldn't go that route again because it was more of a hassle.

#10 Aug-22-17 10:55AM

Ernie
Administrator

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

I've been wanting to try the pedal system.  I'm a bike rider from way back, so that's more my comfort and I think it goes in reverse too.

My Hobie does not pedal backwards, some other types might. I carry a short paddle for when I need to move back for any reason but rarely use it.

As George said, kayaks can be fairly specific to what you want and need.

I liked the OK 13 footer because it is FAST! It also handled well in river floats. Very stable unlike the Jackson Cruise that I had which was tippy (as observed by 2 guys when I took a swim and lost a nice rod/reel).

The Hobie's are comfy but for stiller water but you can also take them out in bigger water.

#11 Aug-23-17 1:15PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I just noticed where you're from

Get a river kayak as well

Just saying

If you want to try one out, and have a vehicle that can shuttle two kayaks, gimme a shout

#12 Aug-23-17 3:02PM

Junger
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

I just noticed where you're from

Get a river kayak as well

Just saying

If you want to try one out, and have a vehicle that can shuttle two kayaks, gimme a shout

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's the River kayak vs others?  I only know of Ocean Kayaks (longer right?) vs other fishing kayaks.

What's the Predator MK/PDL considered?

#13 Aug-23-17 4:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

IMHO, a 9-10' yak is great for the river but they are slow if you need to get somewhere. I did just fine with a 13 footer but an 11-12 footer would be just right.

Board footer