Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-30-08 11:39AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

River Smallmouth article

There's been a bit of increase in the amount of smallmouth related posts around here recently.  Especially in rivers. 
I'm not expert, but I've been doing it for many years, and have compiled a little bit of stuff that might be helpful.

I put this article together a little while back, and Jeff was kind enough to post it on his board for me.  I consider it a sort of a primer on river smallmouth fishing and good starting point for those that are new.  It is, of course, what works for me, and some additional tweaking for other individuals, but hopefully it will be helpful for some.

http://blueridgekayakfishing.com/anothe … river.html

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#2 Jun-30-08 12:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: River Smallmouth article

Excerllent article, I have read it a few times over the last year!!

As well, BDS is the key: Bigger baits, fish Deeper, work it Slower...this comes from the late Capt. Jack West (excellent smallie fisherman).

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-11-08 2:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

I thought it was time to bring this link back to the top.

Ernie

#4 Sep-15-08 1:24PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Excerllent article, I have read it a few times over the last year!!

As well, BDS is the key: Bigger baits, fish Deeper, work it Slower...this comes from the late Capt. Jack West (excellent smallie fisherman).

Ernie

Read something interesting that relates to the "bigger baits" part of the saying in the October/November issue of In-Fisherman.  It was in an article about the top myths in bass fishing.  It said that although bigger baits increase the average size of your bass, it does not mean a smaller fish will not also attack it.  Bass can eat something up to half its size.  So when your using a 8" worm, a 16" fish can eat it.  This is why little fish attack the poppers on top (had been wondering about this).  But like the saying "bigger baits and fishing deep" is the key also, according to this article. 

Great Article Though!  I wish I could write about fishing like that!

#5 Sep-15-08 2:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

Although I have not done it this year, I used to catch a lot more of the big fish by using a 5-6" Zoom lizzard that was Texas rigged with a 1/4 oz weight (at least). I would let it sit on the bottom until I saw the line move, then... slam it home! I would twitch it once in a while. It takes a ton of patience to fish like that.

#6 Sep-17-08 8:55AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

I've found bass don't care if they can eat it or not, they'll try.  I've had fish attack lures the same size as they are!

you gotta love a fish with attitude

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

Board footer