Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-26-08 6:07AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Cedar Lake Report - 6/24/2008

I went out to Cedar in the evening for a little while to test the bite. I haven't been out locally in a few days because of the tournament schedule. Anyhow, I started off with the frog attempting to entice a topwater bite, but to no avail. I decided then to throw a t-rig worm with a 3/16 oz weight. I targeted points and the springs or fountains (whatever they are) and ended up landing a limit of bass under 14in. Just before sunset I headed over to Beech to try my luck there.

At Beech, I quickly landed a small bass and as I was leaving saw something quite interesting. I noticed a couple of dead bluegill floating sideways on the surface very near to the shoreline. I ignored them at first until I saw one of them having their tail nibbled at. Again, these fish were dead. As I looked closer I saw a 1.5 - 2lb bass nibbling on the tail. I couldn't believe it when I saw it....but I could believe throwing my worm at it to see if he'd be interested in that! I threw the worm beyond the bass and brought it closer. The bass swam around and looked at it, but largely ignored it. Now picture this. I am standing at the waters edge and this bass is essentially staring straight at me from just inside the lake. He could not have been more than a few inches from the shore. As quietly and smoothly as possible, I flipped the worm and it landed on the water on top of the bass, but fell right in front of his face. He looked at it, grabbed it and slowly swam off. Now I saw that he only grabbed it by the tail. As such, I waited a good 5-10 seconds before attempting to set the hook. Unfortunately, I should have waited for another chomp. I reared back to set the hook and he turned and swirled big time on the surface. With only the tail in his mouth and despite the hook set attempt and the roll he performed, I yanked the worm from his mouth and he swam off.

While I was bummed that I didn't get to fight him, I was very intrigued by his actions -- Has anybody ever seen a bass nibble at a dead fish and then watch the lure fall in front of them with you in his sights and still pick it up?

Good times and tight lines!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 Jun-26-08 8:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Cedar Lake Report - 6/24/2008

That is a new one to me but very interesting. Great observation on your part. The more I fish, the slower I am making my presentations.

Yesterday, floating the Potomac, I was impatient and it cost me at least a dozen fish!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer