Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-17-17 5:55AM

CrankbaitGuy

Easy bay kayak fishing spots

I'm looking for relatively close (2 hours drive from Ashburn) easy place to get some solo saltwater fishing time in my kayak once things warm up.  I was thinking of something like the "lakes" at Sandy Point or Point Lookout, where I could go out alone but not be so isolated that I help couldn't find me if things went wrong.  Not expecting top notch striper or drum action, happy to tangle with spots or white perch.

I'm an fairly experienced paddler on the Bay, but that's in my sea kayak.  I fish out of a very small sit on top.  I did take that boat out under Bay Bridge once in the evening, but am not up for that anymore.  Any suggestions are welcome!  Thanks in advance!

#2 Mar-17-17 6:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Easy bay kayak fishing spots

Aqualand on the Potomac, Capt. Dennis Fleming will be there and can point out some spots.

Piney Point on the Potomac. Lots of places to paddle to.

Best thing is to go on http://www.snaggedline.com/forum.php and go to their Meet & Greets. Good way to get some exposure to fishing areas.

BTW, I would not call Pt. Lookout easy in a yak....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-17-17 11:46AM

ccampo

If you just want white perch, DC can be the place to be this time of year. Tandem dropper rig, small artificials or bits of crawler/bloodworm.

#4 Mar-17-17 12:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

ccampo wrote:

If you just want white perch, DC can be the place to be this time of year. Tandem dropper rig, small artificials or bits of crawler/bloodworm.

What Chris said plus out of Marshall Hall, red buoy just across from ramp.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Apr-27-17 4:23AM

CrankbaitGuy

Apologies for the threadomancy, but thanks to Ernie and Chris for the responses. I've been meaning to try Marshall Hall, Aqualand seems to be about right distance and I didn't know about Snagged Line's M&G's.

I have a follow up and clarification on my Point Lookout question.  I was curious about the big "lake" where the marina is and the causeway on one side.  It's called Lake Conoy on the mapping programs.  I did some crabbing there 9000 (or 31-33) years ago.  That water looked like a decent solo practice ground.  Anyone fish it from a yak?

#6 Apr-27-17 5:19AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Marshall Hall is also a perfect place to launch if you want to catch bass, and probably snakeheads too. There are lush grass beds within casting distance of the ramp.

tight lines

Board footer