Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-22-08 11:08AM

Fishmaster-Sierra

Question for Ernie!!

Ernie,

My family and I went to the Ashburn Pavilion yesterday. We brought some small tomatoes, strawberry dough(which didn't turn out right)some regular dough, and marshmellows. We were trying to catch some carp. I was just wondering if all of those things worked on carp. My dad tried everything but we didn't catch any carp. I wondered if it was the bait or the location. Does any of that bait that we brought work?

who said girls can't fish??

#2 Jun-22-08 1:46PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Question for Ernie!!

I'm not Ernie, and don't know if this will work on VA carp, but here in MD it does. First, if the mulberries are still dropping in the lake wait till twilight and hide a small hook in a mulberry. If the berries are gone buy a loaf of Martin's potato bread. Peel the crust off and then pull pieces from the slices of bread and roll them into balls. Start chumming till you see old bugle lips start slurping the bread balls, then mash a ball around a small hook and float it where you saw the fish.  The 2 problems with the bread balls are ducks and turtles. They enjoy them more than the carp. Good points, you can snack if you get hungry, and you'll still have bait the next day. The strawberry dough and marshmallows should work, but I would think the tomatoes would be to acidic. Think sweet.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Jun-22-08 1:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

Sierra,

Listen to Mr. Bob (Osprey), he can catch fish like there is no tomorrow! Carp need to be sweet talked just like he said. It has been 22 years since I caught one on corn (#6 hook).

Keep at it, you guys will get one! Good luck!

ER

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jun-22-08 6:46PM

Fishmaster-Sierra

Thanks for the advice on how to catch carp! But now I am wondering how to catch grass carp. Do they like the same things to eat as regular carp or do they had a special food that they can't resist?

who said girls can't fish??

Board footer