Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-22-16 12:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

Beaverdam Reservoir Open House, Dec. 14, 2016

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/Newest%20Kiko/Beaverdam12-14-16_zpsvtl3qm3s.jpg

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Nov-22-16 2:22PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Beaverdam Reservoir Open House, Dec. 14, 2016

This is the continued communications effort between the LoCo Water folks and the NoVA Regionl Park folks.

Hope to see many of you there.....

#3 Nov-22-16 4:52PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the heads up, Ernie.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Nov-28-16 10:07AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

If I'm not out of town I will be there. Boston's before the meeting?

#5 Nov-28-16 10:20AM

Ernie
Administrator

Paul Naj wrote:

If I'm not out of town I will be there. Boston's before the meeting?

Yep....I have coupons!

#6 Dec-12-16 2:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

Paul is on travel and may not make it back in time for the meeting. I have another commitment in Arlington and can't make it either. Anyone else going?

#7 Dec-12-16 3:59PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

My intention is there, but things in life are getting in the way.  Not likely due to family issues.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#8 Dec-14-16 8:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

From Dan Turlik- This will be a 200 parking space area. River road and Mt Hope will remain open. This new area is for rowing teams and rentals as well as a water themed learning area. There are to be two more phases after this.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/Newest%20Kiko/12-14-16Beaverdam_zps5kqgaola.jpg

#9 Dec-15-16 10:46PM

Ramdizzle

please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I left on their Facebook page. I was laying in bed early due to having to work 24 hours tomorrow and listing to the meeting online. Around the time I was dozing off the subject of boat ramps came up. My excitement to what this lake might turn into to quickly turned to disappointment. I was bothered by what I heard considering I live directly on Lake Frederick now with a boat ramp, 24 hour lake and less than 200 space parking but it can accommodate vehicles with trailers. I'm looking at this from just an anglers point of view and as a place I would consider fishing but clearly they would rather gear this towards other things.

What I posted to their FB page: This is a massive let down for a lot of anglers who choose to fish from a jon boat. Per the most recent meeting there are no plans for a boat ramp. It's stated at the 39:35 mark that there is not going to be any trailer parking due to "a desire not to have engines on the reservoir". I understand not allowing combustion engines on the water or making them raise the motor out of the water and disconnect the fuel tank, but what happened to allowing electric motors on the water like in years past? Most jon boats aren't able to be "roof top launched" due to the overall size and weight. In other words we are being told that serious anglers with jon boats aren't welcome since there are no plans for a boat ramp, parking for vehicles with trailers and no electric motors. This decision will impact kayakers that choose to trailer their kayaks and use an electric motor with it. I wish they would look at all VDGIF managed lakes and use them as a simple guideline.

Here is the link to BDR site with the audio from the meeting. http://www.beaverdamcreekreservoir.com/

Ernie wrote:

From Dan Turlik- This will be a 200 parking space area. River road and Mt Hope will remain open. This new area is for rowing teams and rentals as well as a water themed learning area. There are to be two more phases after this.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj32 … qgaola.jpg

#10 Dec-16-16 5:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

John Odenkirk,  who is  a Fisheries Biologist for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, had the same concern and expressed his views at the meeting. This is Phase 1 of 3 and it is hopeful that they will add one later on.

#11 Dec-16-16 6:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

#12 Dec-16-16 7:30AM

Ramdizzle

What is VDGIF role in BDR if any? I spoke to someone from there roughly a year ago and he made it sound like they weren't going to have anything to do with BDR. I wish they would manage it and have a small lot where they build their own 24 hour ramp, kind of like Burke Lake. It's just disappointing they would take this stance or at least make that statement.

#13 Dec-16-16 12:42PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/NtVSuyD_zpssrjgj6lt.gif

#14 Dec-16-16 1:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Ramdizzle wrote:

What is VDGIF role in BDR if any? I spoke to someone from there roughly a year ago and he made it sound like they weren't going to have anything to do with BDR. I wish they would manage it and have a small lot where they build their own 24 hour ramp, kind of like Burke Lake. It's just disappointing they would take this stance or at least make that statement.

Beaverdam is owned by Loudoun Water. If you remember, they were going to completely shut it down until the public rose up and protested. NOVA Parks will manage the new recreational areas.

Hopefully, VDGIF will continue to monitor fish populations once they draw the res back up.

They did make a statement at the meeting (Odenkirk) and I am hopeful they will continue to weigh in.

#15 Dec-17-16 5:31AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie is correct.  VDGIF wants a ramp there, but cannot put one in on Loudoun Water property.  If State owned a small portion of land, it would have a VDGIF ramp already.  Odenkirk's hands are somewhat tied since the state has no power or real say in the matter.  Same deal with Lake Manassas......landowner(s) cut VDGIF out completely in that case.

VDGIF owns the land and ramp at Burke Lake.  They bought the land and built the ramp.....and maintain it.

Last edited by Curly (Dec-17-16 6:36AM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer