Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-29-16 7:36AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

The addiction continues

Update

Last month went kayaking with a buddy and he flipped his yak & lost a GL Loomis w/ a Stradic.  I posted this rod on another board and he liked it so much we made a small barter arrangement and now he owns the rod.

So of course, I needed to build another .... so the addiction continues

The addiction continues ...

I luv split TN cork handles - buddy made this one for some jigs from another barter arrangement. 

He was quite on what he did, but said he punched each cork ring from a piece of raw cork.  The material looked familiar, so I went to my bag full of gasket material from when I use to make my own gaskets tinkering with motorcycles and damn, I think I know his secret.  To punch out a 1/4” ring, and glue them all up, then turn them on a lathe is allot of work.

For that much work, I needed the ‘right’ blank. 

Been wanting to build on, and fish a St. Croix Legend tournament blank, so had a 10% coupon from Jann’s and got a ML power, Fast action, 6’6” blank.  Got the blank and the taper on the blank was unreal.   Last night & this morning, reamed out the handle and glued everything up

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/2016%2010%20SCiV_zpsujspjhyo.jpg

Guides are on the way from Mud hole, so when the epoxy on the handle cures, I'll be ready to go

Will be using Fuji Concept titanium silicon carbonate spin guides

The shine between the rubberized cork & gasket material will be sanded down after everything dries & cures

#2 Oct-29-16 8:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: The addiction continues

Good thing that I don't like TN handles........looking good. Still have not tried the rod you made, saving it for the new sled.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Oct-29-16 1:00PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

I like the way it looks!  I need to get out tomorrow.  Hopefully, not too many leaves.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Nov-02-16 11:50AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Good thing that I don't like TN handles........looking good.

This one's mine Ernie LoL

Only fished a SCiV a couple times and not enough to make judgement.  Interested in comparing the SCiV to the SCIII and SCV which I've fished allot.  So far I'm impressed by the amount of taper on this blank.  For comparison, the SCV's allot more sensitive and faster action, while the SCIII has slower action (for the same size, power, and action blank).

No progress on the rod yet.  Work & honey do's keeping me busy.

#5 Nov-09-16 5:26PM

pier_man0909

I have had several st croix customs over the years and I can say the SCIV blanks are leaps and bound above the SCII.  Not only do they perform great but I absolutely love the cobalt blue color.  I have one that a friend built for me with a custom carbon fiber handle and a waeave of my name and a kayak paddle.  the sensetivity of that rod is unreal and you can feel a flounder fart from 10 feet away.  I have never fished the SCV and only have limited time fishing with the SCIII. At some point I plan on building myself a few more.

Last edited by pier_man0909 (Nov-09-16 5:28PM)

#6 Nov-13-16 4:38AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

For smallies, all you really need is an SCIII - have a couple SCV's and luv both of them.  They are allot faster than a SCII, SCIII, or SCiV - took a bit to get use to.  SCII works nice for big hard baits or spinnerbaits.  I'm mostly a soft plastic, polish the rocks type so the higher modulus blanks are nice for that technique.

Got some more work done on the rod yesterday

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/IMGP1150_zpsrgrmbyb6.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/IMGP1149_zpsq4j0rexw.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/IMGP1148_zpscxndfcmj.jpg

Finished wrapping the guides and epoxy's curing.  Need to put on the St Croix label & traditional small mouth sticker, one more coat of epoxy, then the rod'll be ready to fish.

Last edited by hookup (Nov-13-16 4:42AM)

#7 Nov-13-16 5:59AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Way to go, George!  Looks like a winner.  I want to see it in action!

#8 Nov-13-16 6:17PM

pier_man0909

sweet.  I tried to get into rod building about 10 years back.  bought a whole bunch of stuff of stuff for it and never got to build the first rod.  moved shortly after I got everything and the place I moved into was too small and everything wouldnt fit.  wound up selling everything brand new to friends of mine.  I think im gonna try to get a decent power wrapper/dryer over the winter and get into it again.  there is also an awesome rod building expo in february in north carolina.  Hopefuly I can attend this year.

#9 Nov-14-16 10:34AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

First rod I built was with a cardboard box w/ v-notches cut out on either side and a book as a thread tensioner.  I still don't own a power wrapper or have been to NC for the rod building show.

My advise is to start small and if the addiction hits, then move up.  I build just for me or a few select friends.  I wouldn't want to do this for $$

#10 Nov-14-16 6:10PM

pier_man0909

I have thought about doing it that way.  I still may do that if I cant afford a power wrapper.  one of the main reasons the power wrapper would help me is when drying finish and not having to turn it manually.  It would also help when shaping cork grips and would save time when doing a rod with a lot of underwraps or long wraps.  Its not a must have, but would definately help in some aspects.  I am hoping to go to the NC show again this year.  you can score some really good stuff there at good prices.

#11 Nov-16-16 5:46AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Power wrapper won't help much for drying because the RPM's to high

Get something with an RPM under 10 and you'll be good

I built my first one with a rotisserie motor from a grill - then shelled out the coin for a 'real' one

Here's a good thread on drying motors

http://rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,347032,347032

And here you see a company advertising a power wrapper & drying motor

http://www.americantackle.us/equipment.html

#12 Nov-16-16 6:21PM

pier_man0909

That is exactly the wrapper I was looking into. It's the same one I bought years ago.  When I sold it to my friend he said if I ever wanted it back I could buy it back anytime.  I asked him about it not too long ago and I think hes is having too much fun with it because now he doesnt want to sell it back to me, haha.

#13 Nov-29-16 7:47PM

pier_man0909

well, its on.  I found a great deal on a power wrapper/dryer and ordered it.  It came today.  I feel like a kid in a candy store.  I have another couple boxes of random supplies coming too that should be here thursday.  overall, I spent more money than I anticipated (and could afford) on equipment and supplies but I got a real good deal on everything so I feel its justified.  Once I get some money together Ill have to buy some blanks to build on.  I get laid off after christmas so ill have plenty of time to build over the winter.

#14 Nov-30-16 9:17AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction

You can find cheap blanks & guides at mudhole.com  - I bought 4 sets and learned on them.  Still have my first rod and gave the other four away as gifts

Post if you have any questions

#15 Nov-30-16 3:10PM

pier_man0909

Thanks.  There were some good black friday sales going on.  There werent really any kits on sale that I was looking to build so I took advantage of cheap supplies, tools, and equipment.  Have you built on any of there MHX blanks?  how do you like them?  Ive heard good things about them and was thinking about building a MB843 which sounds like a good all around blank.  Coming from a surf fishing background, I also want to build a CTS surf rod but it may be quite a while before I can do one of those.  at almost $400 just for the blank and crazy high shipping (9' tip section), it would be quite an expensive project.  especially considering I havent done any real surf fishing in the last few years that definately isnt the priority.  maybe ill get lucky and get a show discount on one of those blanks if I get to go.

#16 Dec-05-16 5:53AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Never built on an MHX blank, but many I know like them.  I'm a St Croix 'ho

I got an old surf rod years ago at a garage sale & redid it.  Allot of work, but between guides, the garage sale price, I have less than $50 in it.  Labor was considered free LoL

#17 Dec-05-16 6:47AM

pier_man0909

I am quite fond of st croix myself.  they make excellent blanks.  Unfortunately, they are quite expensive.  a lot of the mhx were supposedly reverse engineered, or copied from g loomis blanks and are of very high quality as well.  I have never fished with a g loomis so I wouldnt know what to expect.  I dont think I will like them as much as st croix but im sure I will like them too and the lower price point will allow me to built more as "practice".

#18 Dec-06-16 6:47AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I have one GLoomis I built in the quiver and have fished with many.  Still a St Croix 'ho - luv them.  Currently have a MH SCII, ML SCIII, ML SCIII, and 2 M SCV blanks.

Get on mudhole's mailing list.  Couple times a year they sell blanks for a nice discount.  Keep your eyes on the net too - I found a 6' SCV blank for $60 that I've fished since I started building for myself.

#19 Jan-06-17 5:55PM

pier_man0909

okay.  just a little update.  first build is underway.  I actually found a good deal on some rainshadow immortal blanks.  after doing a lot of research I found they were very well liked and from what I gather, they would be comparable to the st. croix scIV series.  I ordered 3 blanks to get started.  To be honest, they seem a little overpowered to me and not exactly what I was expecting.   regardless, they seem like really nice blanks.  I have my first handle built with winn grips and am waiting on a single trim ring for above the reelseat before I start wrapping guides.  that should be her monday.

#20 Jan-07-17 7:15AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Good luck and show us the finished product!

#21 Jan-09-17 7:07AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Hope I get to show it to you with a thumbed smallie

#22 Jan-15-17 12:50PM

pier_man0909

first rod in the books.  its a rainshadow immortal (rx8) 7'2" medium power fast action 10-17 lb. line and 1/4-3/4 lure.  It definately feels more like a medium heavy to me than a medium.  I cant wait to test it out.

#23 Jan-17-17 7:50AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Take some pix of the build & post them

#24 Jan-17-17 2:30PM

pier_man0909

hookup wrote:

Take some pix of the build & post them

I cant post pics on here.  I dont have a photobucket account.

#25 Jan-17-17 2:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

pier_man0909 wrote:

I cant post pics on here.  I dont have a photobucket account.

There are other ways but I'm not sure how.

Send them to me by email.....

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer