Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-09-06 5:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

7-8-06 Cobb Island Report

Went out with Jim Rekas and Kevin McMonigle to try to duplicate last year's 251 fish effort.

I am really starting to envy all of the guys that live on or near the water. We left Ashburn at 6:00 AM this morning which should have put us on the water at 7:45 AM. But noooooooooooooooo! They decided to have only one lane open on the WW bridge and there was a huge back up. Luckily, we got off and went through Alexandria and DC to get to the Cobb Island. We finally put in at Shamansky's at 9:15 AM.

A local snitch told us that the rockfish were feeding and biting at  the mouth of the Wicomico so there we went. We caught one nice and healthy 16 incher on a 5" albino BA.

After a few more drifts it was evident that the bite had shut down so we motored to Swan Point. The water quality there was not bad but it was not good either. It seems that the dirtier water is over at the VA side. We made several drifts on the incoming tide and caught some white perch but not with the consistency that we normally catch them. As always, we were using very light tackle!

We started to get hungry so we trolled back for a mile with no bites. On to Quades we went for a great lunch of crabcakes and cheeseburgers!

After lunch, we hit St. Margaret's Island and caught a few perch on the NW side. Then we went to the other side as the tide was ripping through the shoal so we made several drifts (using drift sock) and had some mild success. But we decided we wanted more stripers so we were going to hit  the L & J buoys over on the VA side.

As we started off, the motor made a bad sound so I shut it down. Way to go knucklehead.... you forgot to bring in the drift sock! The rope was in the prop and I was in the water taking the prop off to untangle the mess. I got stung several times by something (on Benadryl tonight!). Almost one hour later, we scrapped the L & J idea and headed back in the Wicomico for more perch.

Total tally was 1 striper and 64 WP with 9 keepers over 8.5 inches. Fairly slow day but a great day on the water! Be back in a couple of weeks!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jul-13-06 5:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 7-8-06 Cobb Island Report

The muddier water was over at the VA side. Remember that the Potomac is 5 miles wide there. However, I just found out that they put out a warning about swimming in that area. Seems the river is a bit high on bacteria.....and I was in that water while I took the prop off. Yikes!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer