Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-02-16 9:31AM

Fishfry
Northern Snakehead

Klickitat River (say that one fast three times!)

So....I get a call from my friend Pete...."hey, you every try Klickitat?"  Um, since this question was coming from Pete, my reaction answer was....NO...and Hell NO....I don't want to get sick and I want to stay out of trouble.  Pete goes on to say that the Klickitat is a tributary river and part of the larger Columbia River system.  He had just fished it and the wild Steelhead had entered the river...wanted to know if I wanted to fish it....oh....bring on THAT kind of trouble!!! 

Fishing for Steelhead in the middle of summer, in high desert, and dirty water...wasn't what I expected when I moved to Washington....I thought it was all about pristine clear water, rain, and cool/cold winter temps....boy was I wrong.  We put a hook into two fish, landed one 7lb's+ (below), and did a boat side release on one that was a bit larger.

When we finished, I asked Pete..."how many did you catch the other day?  He replied "none....I just wanted another bottle of that Pappy VanWinkle whiskey....can't believe you caught Steelhead this early in the season~~~!"  Well, at least Pete likes good whiskey.  Pic's below.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb18/MSAuto/WP_20160724_09_16_34_Raw.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb18/MSAuto/WP_20160724_09_16_40_Raw.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb18/MSAuto/WP_20160724_09_16_46_Raw.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb18/MSAuto/Klickitat%20July%202016.jpg

Next up...fishing on the Cowlitz.

Best regards,

Fishfry

#2 Aug-02-16 10:49AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Klickitat River (say that one fast three times!)

Might have to move to the great NorthWest folks!!

#3 Aug-02-16 12:59PM

Ernie
Administrator

Need to put these reports in a binder and then sell the book!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-02-16 1:27PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the report and pictures!!! That scenery...

Fishfry wrote:

When we finished, I asked Pete..."how many did you catch the other day?  He replied "none....I just wanted another bottle of that Pappy VanWinkle whiskey....can't believe you caught Steelhead this early in the season~~~!"  Well, at least Pete likes good whiskey.

lol that Pete sounds like a hoot. I'd like a bottle of Pappy too big_smile Do you just have a stock of them hiding away somewhere? You can add it to Pete's tab since he seems to pay with fishing trips, or at least that's what I've gathered from your reports haha.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#5 Aug-02-16 3:29PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I think Pappy is benchmark of "Bourbons" but lately I been smiten with Willets Pot Still.
The fish is huge and very beautiful. It must have felt like electricity when hooked up.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Aug-02-16 3:44PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

I think Pappy is benchmark of "Bourbons" but lately I been smiten with Willets Pot Still.

That's a cool looking bottle! I'll be on the lookout.

#7 Aug-02-16 8:48PM

Fishfry
Northern Snakehead

Pete is a "fishing gentleman and a fine judge of sipping whiskey!" Or so the story goes....you may have noticed that I am wearing "striping guards" on my fingers......between the time I get these fish on the reel, they tend to make one or two hard runs, which will burn the crap outta your fingers...especially if your hands are wet and I am using textured lines.  Yeah, I know, I am a wimp, but try playing classical guitar with lined burned fingers.

Yes, I was gifted several cases of Pappy Van Winkle....but alas, I am down to three bottles....and Pete has his eye's on those bad boys, like a starving hawk eyes a fat chicken.  I figure I can get several more good trips outta those bottles...!!

I don't drink anymore (don't want to end up being Pete), but during the days I did...Woodford Private Reserve was a nice affordable drink :-).  I've been told that Pappy's is great, but a bit pricey to drink regularly.

Best regards,

Fishfry

Last edited by Fishfry (Aug-02-16 8:49PM)

#8 Aug-03-16 7:24AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Playing guitar with burned fingers is no fun, but at least classical has those soft, comfy nylon strings smile  My fingers/hand gets fatigued before my finger tips hurt when playing classic, opposite of what happens when I play acoustic/electric.

Cases of Pappy??? Wow, what a generous gift! I don't drink all that often so I could spare having a bottle or two. Woodford is definitely a great bourbon. I look forward to the Pappy funded reports! lol

Board footer