Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-06-16 7:03PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Good Read

It's a 20+ year old article, but it's loaded with good information and still applies today. Enjoy.

http://www.umpquavalleybassmasters.com/bassbook.htm

#2 Jun-07-16 5:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Good Read

School.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-08-16 11:33AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

I find this stuff interesting. Way before technology advancements and scientific studies people came to conclusions based on observations. The old Buck Perry Spoonplugging theory comes to mind. He talks about daily bass migrations from deep to shallow water daily as quoted in this article. Additional electro-tagging studies seem to debunk this suggesting that daily bass migrations are horizontal and not vertical. I'm guessing the truth lies somewhere in between. I know for sure, as an example, that some days fish are on top of the structure in 8 or 9 feet, some days they are on the ledge in 13 or 14 feet and some days they are in the deep in 17 to 19 feet. Was this a timing thing based on their migration or were these different schools of fish as suggested by the scientists that say bass stay at the same depth?

Another "old school" theory is the feeding periods during peak lunar periods during the day relative to the moons position during the lunar month. One article I was reading about it said this-

A high moon exerts the greatest amount of gravitational force on a given part of the earth,
while a moon on the far side of earth creates the least amount. Due to the centrifugal
force created by the spinning of the earth, a force which pushes away from the earth’s
core, a lack of gravity on the opposite side of the moon creates a “bump” on both sides
of the earth.

“You would think that when the moon is down it would pull the water down, but what
happens is there is less gravity on that side of the earth. The water on the far side of
earth from the moon humps up simply because it doesn’t weigh as much.”

During a full moon and the new moon, the major period occurs in the middle of the day.

“People think that is strange until you ask them … everybody remembers the biggest
fish they ever caught in their life, most of them will say, ‘You know, the funny thing is that I
caught it at two in the afternoon.’”

Having just caught a 6lb 12 oz fish recently I went back and looked at the data. The date was May 21st, the day of the full moon. The Solunar Tables stated a major hunting / fishing period that day as 1:03 to 3:03 PM. I just looked at my phone and I took this picture at 1:09 PM.... Just saying....

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/IMG_1030_zpsufq7si1b.jpg

#4 Jun-08-16 12:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

So....you went fishing and had a good day. Then.....you looked up the data and noticed that the stars aligned. Nice!

This stuff makes me go bonkers.....too much science....I'm going fishing when I need/want/can go fishing! Some days will be great, some not so great (catching wise) but I will be out on the water and minimally enjoyed a nice stogie!

I fly fished for BGs 2 days in a row. One day, they did not want top water ants and the next day (same approximate times) they did. I still had fun each day...

And what happens when a full moon (and a new moon) is on and the major period occurs in the middle of the day and you are  in Vegas or Chicago or some other silly place schmoozing clients? Ha!

#5 Jun-08-16 1:23PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Good stuff! Thanks for the share, Paul. I've never had much luck on new moon days, and full moon days are hit or miss for me. I looked back and the largest bass I caught was 7 days before the full moon and was an hour before the major feeding period.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#6 Jun-08-16 4:03PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ok   "Actions perceived are often realized."

If I looked the Field and Stream best fishing tables I would plan all my trips around the best times. However the weather would be so bad I could not get out.

So when the weather cleared I would go fishing. Always had a rough time of it. However on spur of the moment did some trips and they where spectacular. Checked my tables and it was less than good accordingly.

My thought.... Fish when you can . Drink when you can. Plan trips but keep an open mind to expectations.

OH and only smoke one cigar at a time.

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Jun-08-16 4:04PM)

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#7 Jun-08-16 5:25PM

L73global

Good read indeed, Thx!

#8 Jun-08-16 5:35PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Ernie wrote:

I'm going fishing when I need/want/can go fishing! Some days will be great, some not so great (catching wise) but I will be out on the water and minimally enjoyed a nice stogie!

I agree with this completely. Well, except for the stogie part.

Based on the science, I'm not going to change when I fish and what body of water I fish, my schedule dictates that. I will say, however, that I might approach things a little bit differently as it relates to feeding times. If there is some truth to this, I would consider hitting certain spots, that I know hold big fish, during these periods even if I fished them earlier in the day. Most of the spots I hit on the reservoir, as an example, are one and done for the day. If spots produce well in the morning I may return once before going back. This was the case of the 6Lb 12oz fish. I just had a feeling that day. Well maybe this will become habit in the future. I have pictures going back years. It may be time for some data analysis. ;-)

#9 Jun-08-16 5:46PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

By the way, I'm a guy that grew up fishing salt water. Tides play a big role and the moon affects the tides. So yeah, I've absolutely adjusted fishing times or chose specific days of the month to go to certain locations based on moon and tide. Most of the time, like now, I just fish when I can. But I will tell you this, 3 days before and after a full and new moon just before slack water, I was extra alert and extra ready for something big to happen. There was a reason for this. My old log books prove it.

I should also note that I'm different than a lot of fishermen (no wise cracks Ernie). I often choose not to just fish for bites. I get a lot of pleasure out of hunting trophy sized fish. I could pound the banks and coves, fish smaller lures, fish for other species and get a lot more hits. Instead I target deep structure, fish big baits and am ready for big fish. What keeps me coming back is knowing that my 10lb bass is out there. Once I catch her, her 11lb sister will be calling me.

#10 Jun-08-16 7:00PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

OK, I found 10 pictures on my phone with time stamps of fish over 4lb in 2015 and 2016. 4 were caught in the 2 hour Major window, 2 were caught in a 1 hour Minor window and 4 were caught outside the window but mostly early morning or late evening. All of the 5LB+ fish were in one of the windows. So not emphatic data but interesting none the less.

On another note Ernie, remember the day SMB fishing on the Upper when it was REALLY slow. All of the fish Curly and I caught were in a 2 hour major window. ;-)

#11 Jun-09-16 3:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

Good stuff Paul.....does make you think.

#12 Jun-13-16 11:28AM

mkupchyk

Wow, very interesting, thanks for the information.

Haha, now they need a new version of the rhyme to include "And the Fish Swam Over the Moon"

#13 Aug-07-17 1:39PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Bringing this one back up to the top.

I went out last night on the Potomac. I fished from 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM. I landed 7 fish up to 3.5 or 4 lb , lost a good one at the boat and had several other hits on the senko and a few blow ups on a frog. All except 2 hits came between 7:30 PM and 8:45 PM. It's like the switch got flipped on and the fish were feeding heavily and 75 minutes later switched back off. It was almost dead before and after that time.

For the heck of it I had a look at the Solunar table today. The minor period last night was between 7:34 and 8:34 PM. Definitely not a coincidence. Just saying.

I may have to try and sneak back out on Wednesday to see if it happens again.

#14 Aug-08-17 4:18AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

It would be very interesting to hear if it happens again on Wednesday.

#15 Aug-08-17 7:16AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

What blows my mind is my brother and I go almost every weekend.  Last week the fish count was 8-1 in my favor.  2 weeks ago 12-3 in his favor.  3 weeks ago 11-2 me.    we are throwing the same baits in the same areas of the lake.  its pretty odd...

#16 Aug-09-17 12:25PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

I ended up going last night instead of tonight. The magic hour brought a small flurry of fish and then died off fairly quickly. The Solunar period was from 8:55 to 9:55 last night. At about 8:50 the area definitely came alive. There was suddenly bait everywhere, fish started busting and I chased a few big fish with my kayak. I soon hooked up and lost a fish in the weeds and had several more blow ups in the next 10 to 15 minutes . Additional conditions like the wind, tide height and moon coming up bright brought several fits and starts to action but there's no doubt that the fish were "more active" during that hour.

So to Ernie's point earlier in the thread, I'll fish when I have an opportunity to fish, that won't change. I am, however, a firm believer that there is some legitimate science to the concept.

#17 Aug-09-17 12:30PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

bart2puck wrote:

What blows my mind is my brother and I go almost every weekend.  Last week the fish count was 8-1 in my favor.  2 weeks ago 12-3 in his favor.  3 weeks ago 11-2 me.    we are throwing the same baits in the same areas of the lake.  its pretty odd...

Yup, I've seen this over and over with guys with similar fishing skills. I don't believe its only a luck thing. Everyone works a lure slightly different and sometimes those slight differences make a big difference in catching or not. Sometimes it's an angle thing. Ernie and I fish moving current from a different angle. Sometimes both approaches work and sometimes it's one or the other. The REALLY good fishermen have the ability to figure out those subtle differences and out catch most people on most days.

#18 Aug-09-17 2:22PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Paul Naj wrote:

The REALLY good fishermen have the ability to figure out those subtle differences and out catch most people on most days.

That's what Ernie did to me the last time we went fishing lol

Board footer