Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-21-16 5:35PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

4/21/2016 Chain Bridge

I got a pass to go fishing this morning so I took full advantage of it. I haven't caught shad yet so that was my target today. I brought an extra rod to try for striper, but I had no idea what I was doing with that and it was just a bonus anyway. I first tried my normal spots upriver of the bridge but the tide was coming in and I was further away from the main current because of the higher water levels. The flow also seemed less strong than normal. I didn't have any success so I tried venturing downriver from the  bridge for the first time. Shortly after I caught my first 2016 shad!

http://i.imgur.com/Ks0ufuT.jpg

South of the bridge was a lot calmer than what I was used to north of the bridge. I was actually able to feel the bites a lot better and know a lot sooner when a fish hit the lure. I was using a double rig and was able to figure out they wanted white today (thanks for the tip, Ernie!).

http://i.imgur.com/zouzksP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Acp46sL.jpg

Most of them were right about 12", smaller than I'm used to but still fun. There were a few larger ones mixed in, but nothing huge. I decided to leave the bite (!?!??!) to continue venturing downstream just to check it out. I wasn't able to go too much further down before I had to head back. I had heard they were hit gold spoons so I replaced the lower dart on the tandem rig with a spoon and was getting hits every cast! It was all on the spoon. Caught a few more. On my last fish the line snapped right after the dart as I was trying to get it out of his mouth, oops. That shad has a new lip piercing to show off to his buddies, hopefully attract some of the ladies. It was a sign for me to leave, otherwise I would have stayed longer to keep catching. No striper, but lots of fun today. Can't wait until my next fishing pass big_smile

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Apr-22-16 5:52AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 4/21/2016 Chain Bridge

Great report and pics, WTG

tight lines

#3 Apr-22-16 6:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

Well done....try trimming some of the hair off the darts next time.

I have not tried spoons this year but many are having success with it.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Apr-22-16 11:09AM

mkupchyk

Nice report, congrats!

#5 Apr-22-16 1:59PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Way to go!  Look like some nice shad.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Apr-25-16 5:31AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

very nice work! I have spoons but have NO confidence in them. I guess I should give them another shot one day.

Board footer