Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-21-16 11:31AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Tiefest/LTJ Tackle Fest Kent Island CCA Review

It was a great show spread out over three party rooms. We where sadly in the furthest back room that many anglers never found. But even with the reduced traffic I handed out 60 brochures. Like I said I sold the heck out free brochures. Almost feel rich selling all those free brochures..OH well.
Capt Dave had a perplunderence of fly fishing tackle to sell. And sell it he did..The best rod a St Croix 4/5 wt in pristine condition did not sell oddly at close to half the retail price. I will admit the Capt Dave was out of his element among the ascot's wearing pinky up crowd. But about halfway thru the show after seeing him talking some of the finest fly fishing guys around he started to show some excitement.  I thought maybe we have a new fly guide in the making..HMMM..well I always have hope.

I managed to get away from the booth for a while and rekindled the love of fly fishing with some old friends. Lefty shook my hand at some point as I moved about the fly tying tables. Caught me by surprise as I was introduced as one of the young and up-coming fly guides.. WOW. Where did that line come from??

In any case it was great show and just today I pulled out my new Orvis 9wt and made a couple dozen casts in the backyard pond we have. The pond only shows up after a heavy snow or rain. No hits in the 2 inches of water among the grass blades.

PS I long for the peepers and signs of hot weather..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Feb-21-16 1:13PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Tiefest/LTJ Tackle Fest Kent Island CCA Review

captmikestarrett wrote:

It was a great show spread out over three party rooms.

I haven't missed many but I chose to go to the Rapidan TU show in Warrenton, about 1/2 the distance. Almost bought another 6wt but then realized that they don't get much use so I thought the better of it.

They had great chili....$2 for a bowl plus 4 crackers.

I bought some expensive flies from "Flies by two brothers". These 2 middle school kids tie some nice flies and have a great marketing team behind them (mom and dad). From Reston.

Oh...and I stopped at a roadside BBQ stand....Smokin' Billy's BBQ. GREAT brisket!!

captmikestarrett wrote:

Caught me by surprise as I was introduced as one of the young and up-coming fly guides.. WOW. Where did that line come from??

Young? Take the complement and run with it!

captmikestarrett wrote:

PS I long for the peepers and signs of hot weather..

You and me both!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-21-16 6:20PM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Re: Tiefest/LTJ Tackle Fest Kent Island CCA Review

I have a 4/5 WT St. Croix Pro Graphite and a POOP load of flies.  When I say POOP load,  I am talking between 300-400 flies.  125 Midges alone.

Two White River reels (with backing and ready to fish),  an Orvis spool, two STC spools and two tackle bags,  one waist and on one Shoulder bag.  Plus a Japanese made Sears fly reel and a GarciaMatic reel.

Plus a pretty serious pile of trout fishing tackle.

All priced to move.

I did wear cargo pants and a golf shirt,  expecting ascots and blazers. 

Fly fishing isn't my thing and I consider it a fishing "art" almost.  Good to get to talk with a lot of fly fisherman.  One common denominator for fly fisherman is a passion for the art.

Now,  who needs a rod and some flies...?

Board footer