Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-08-15 8:03PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

August 8th Report

High tide with an extra foot of water at launch was a total blessing. It got us back in the woods far enough to get away from the wind and find a nice family of snakeheads. Lot count of the hits, follows and blowups. Lost a really big in the group that spit the hook. It was great to see them all fired up and running down our baits. Later as the tide went low we scored on some pesky LGMouth Bass.
http://www.indianheadcharters.com/15/121.jpg
http://www.indianheadcharters.com/15/122.jpg

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Aug-09-15 6:43AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: August 8th Report

Mike,

Are the Snakeheads getting harder to catch now?  From your reports, it looks like they are not overpopulated.  Nice LM.

John

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Aug-09-15 9:04AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: August 8th Report

From four years ago, yes they are harder to catch, but this year we see less bowfishing effort on them and the population is getting better. Lots more this year than last year caught. I see the boats rigged for bowfishing on Craigslist now almost weekly. Last night we saw three spot light boats compared to 8 or 9 from last year. The DNR/Health Dept is cracking down on restaurants that buy the snakehead via back door and they have put pit tags in them to see if fish mongers are really getting them in the cleaning houses. Last nights trip had a DNR employee on board and he agreed that a simple 5 fish limit for recs would be good. In any case the bowfisherman have put them selves out of business by being greedy. I know of only one licensed bowfisherman. Just one.

The group as whole are not a bad lot, but many tend to ignore no wake zones and shoot everything. Gar, carp and in one case last year a beaver. They discard the gar and carp.

Last night the LGMouth did bite and most where over 3 lbs. They are making a come back as well.

I am very optimistic that Snakehead will have a creel limit soon.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer