Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-30-15 7:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

7-29-15, out of Deale but fly only!

John Nguyen and I wanted to do a fly only trip so we set of of Deale on this hot day with S winds of @10knts.

We experienced loss #1 before we got to the ramp. On the 2 lane road leading up to Deale, a pick up truck came too close for comfort and his big, wide mirror took out about a foot of my trailer side guide. That will cost me.

We started on the normal route and got nothing on the shore line so we hit the jetty and john hocked up to a nice perch that came off as he was going to swing it into the boat....a little different with a 9' rod!

Nothing else there....except loss #2 & 3. I went to put on my 5wt reel wit Intermediate line and noticed that the line was jammed inside the spool. No big deal, I can fix that. when I get home. Not. This is a "less expensive" type reel and after taking it apart, it was a total loss. Back to fishing, after putting on a floating line, I made a cast with my nice Orvis TLS 5wt and the reel came flying off! What the heck? The reel seat busted. That will cost me.

As we motored out we noticed that the bay was flat calm so on to the other side we went. Black Walnut Point was my target and it did not disappoint except the S winds created a situation against the current and tide. A little wavy as we tried to control some drifts.

The fish finder was generally lit up but the fish were not active. Still, we managed a few.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001_zpspv5vsnh5.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003_zpstccaqknz.jpg

It was now 11 so we decided to get a snack....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/004_zpsykskj1l9.jpg

....a Philly from the Italian Store. Been eating good the last 2 trips!

Since it was stating to get choppier, we decided to head back and hit the Chesapeake Beach jetty but the wind and wave action from the boast that could care less that we were fishing there prevented me from holding the boat in position for our fly casts.

Speaking of casts, it is really difficult to manage the boat and fly fish. I can do lot when I have an UL in my hand but I am completely disarmed when fly fishing as there are too many things to handle and worry about. Lesson learned.

But....John did manage to do this!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/005_zpsrzzkh1hl.jpg

We then hit the normal spots and no one was home. Very disappointing.

While fishing the flat, John got hung up on a crap pot. That led to loss #43 as he busted a HeliosII. Look it up....ain't cheap. That will cost him!

So....we had a good time, smoked some nice stogies and ended the day at the Wagon Wheel for some good BBQ.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jul-30-15 8:32AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 7-29-15, out of Deale but fly only!

Dang dude, sounds like the trip was jinked from the start.

What is the fish jumping?  Great shot!

Looks like the tides up - never seen the rocks covered that much

#3 Jul-30-15 8:54AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds like a rough day but glad you got on some fish. That needlefish pic is great.

tight lines

#4 Jul-30-15 9:01AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

at least the helios has warranty!!!

a big reason i went with orvis. i have a feeling i will be busting lots of rods.

definitely a rough day for you sad sorry about all the losses. man....i hope it still beats being at work.

the fishing gods owe you big time!

#5 Jul-30-15 10:02AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

oi what a day

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#6 Jul-30-15 10:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

What is the fish jumping?  Great shot!

What Bryan said...lucky pic!

hookup wrote:

Looks like the tides up - never seen the rocks covered that much

That was the Ches. Beach Jetty....not as tall as Deale.  Tides we actually very low for a high.

AndrewDo124 wrote:

definitely a rough day for you sad sorry about all the losses. man....i hope it still beats being at work.

Yep!!

AndrewDo124 wrote:

the fishing gods owe you big time!

Double yep!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Jul-30-15 10:53AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

sandwich looks good!

smile

#8 Jul-30-15 11:07AM