Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-25-15 2:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

'doah, 5-25-15

With lots of anticipation, we hit the road early and were om the river before the outfitters opened for business. We figured we would get out in front of the crowds.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/001_zpscndqsahy.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/002_zpsizccjpgj.jpg

Apparently the river got hammered over the weekend because Greg, Tyler and I could not find any decent ones.

As we were goin' on down the river, I watched Greg attack a rapid but it was bigger than I anticipated and had not yet run any rapids in the new yak.

So...I paddled fast and furious up river and snapped my paddle in half! Now what? Luckily, I had a good line and I expertly tongue  ran the rapid with  a busted paddle.

Jagged edges on the break prevented me from fishing as much as I wanted (not an excuse for the poor fishing) but I dd get a change to get used to the yak.

One of the ones I caught was HUNGRY!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/003_zpscqyigoex.jpg

We all caught fish and had a good time and finished it off with a nice burger and frozen custard.

We have incredible freedom....it was not free!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-25-15 3:45PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 'doah, 5-25-15

Glad you got out.  I had to work.  Keep at 'em!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 May-25-15 6:19PM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

Glad you were able to catch something at least.  I almost went to the doah today was well but I got a sunburn yesterday fishing mattawoman yesterday (not even a single bite in 3 hours during mid day high tide)

#4 May-26-15 3:52AM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

We fished a 9 mile stretch of the Potomac above Hancock on Sunday - - beautiful day and the water looked great, but like you, we caught only about 1/3 the number of smallies we normally do, and no really large fish.  I expect the fish will reappear as the water warms.  Still, it was great to be back on a float after the long winter.

#5 May-26-15 5:19AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Had a great time with Ernie and Tyler.  That picture Ernie took of the fish is the only one needed, because they were all that size.  But we beat the crowds, the day was perfect (despite Ernie's whining it was too cold in the morning.....Cuban blood), my fishing partners are awesome, and the food at the end of the trip was worth the trip on its own.  All in all a great day.

#6 May-26-15 7:30AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Great way to spend the day!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 May-26-15 9:04AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

finished it off with a nice burger and frozen custard.

Great burgers!

#8 May-26-15 3:41PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Ernie wrote:

had not yet run any rapids in the new yak.

Keeping secrets?

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#9 May-26-15 4:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Ernie wrote:

had not yet run any rapids in the new yak.

Keeping secrets?

Apparently so....I thought Greg took a picture and was going to post it.

12' Jackson Cruise. Very wide (33") and comfortable. Didn't rally get a chance to try it out properly with a broken paddle but she handled nicely.

Chris picked up the Prowler tonight. Sad to see her go but Chris will catch more fish from her than I did.

#10 May-26-15 7:32PM

Rob Allen

Ernie - sounds like a cool ride.

B Rae just delivered two Jacksons to a customer in Leesburg a few weeks ago - He is working for Appomatox River Canoe Co, this summer.

#11 May-27-15 1:58AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

Ernie wrote:

finished it off with a nice burger and frozen custard.

Great burgers!

I go there fishing 2-3 times each year. So what's the name of the burger place and where is it?
Thanks,
Bruce

#12 May-27-15 8:40AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

The place is Spelunker's.  Great burgers, fries, and ice cream.  Fresh made waffle cones.  They mixed pound cake, fresh strawberries and blueberries in the ice cream.  Heaven!

I did take a picture of Ernie's new ride.  Haven't downloaded it yet.  Will post tonight or tomorrow.

#13 May-27-15 9:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

GregF wrote:

and ice cream

Frozen custard....just sayin'!

http://spelunkerscustard.com/our-menu.html

And if you haven't tried The Meadows (frozen custard, the really good kind) in One Loudoun, you are missing it!

http://www.meadowsoneloudoun.com/about.html

#14 May-27-15 9:51AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

OK.....frozen custard....doesn't matter what its called when it is that good!

#15 May-27-15 10:35AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

GregF wrote:

and ice cream

Frozen custard....just sayin'!

And if you haven't tried The Meadows (frozen custard, the really good kind) in One Loudoun, you are missing it!

http://www.meadowsoneloudoun.com/about.html

Yes, I can second that The Meadows is fantastic! Definitely try their cookie sandwich! It's about 4 scoops of frozen custard in between two big chocolate chip cookies, for $4! The affogatos are yummy too! I will say though the franchise here doesn't beat the one in Columbia, MD. The guy who owns that place is the best! He is basically Ernie (super friendly, loves to talk, etc), except Chinese. It gives a real mom/pop feel to the place. My wife and I don't get that feeling from the One Loudoun location at all sad Not mean, but not friendly either. Yummy nonetheless though.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#16 May-27-15 12:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

firemunkee wrote:

My wife and I don't get that feeling from the One Loudoun location at all sad Not mean, but not friendly either. Yummy nonetheless though.

Trying to change that....back in the day, we had a place called The Frozen Dairy Bar on Annandale Rd. and Rt. 50 in Falls Church.  Washingtonian Magazine called it “the best treat in town”. I can tell you that I visited that place many, many times in youdt (spelled this way on purpose). Root Beer floats ruled the day!

#17 May-28-15 4:47AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

There's a place next to Pomadora's (if you haven't tried this, the best italian deli place imho) in the Best Buy center that has some nice kids always working in it.

#18 May-28-15 1:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

JC- try them again. Just went up there and the young man behind the counter was excellent. Has a small espresso shake. Oh my!

Now I will need to increase my walking and biking miles!

#19 Jun-03-15 8:53AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Actually, Ernie, it was named G & K Frozen Custard.  I was raised just three blocks up Route 50 from there and ate a lot of that delicacy.  George and I were on a first name basis.  I worked at the Delicatessen in the strip mall next door and made many lunchtime jaunts to the little glass house.  George and his partner both died and the machines were sold to a guy who moved them to a strip mall next to National Memorial Park. I stopped there a few times, but it was just not the same. George was a big dude and always had a scowl on his face, but he put out a great product.  A&W Root Beer stand was right behind the Custard stand. 

Charlie NHBA.....

Charlie NHBA.........

#20 Jun-05-15 7:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie, I think there were two places. The Frozen Dairy Bar was on Rt. 50 just off Annandale Rd.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/New%20Kiko001/FrozenDairyBar_zpsa7wjcgwm.jpg

#21 Jun-07-15 11:51PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

That is the same one, but a later version.  Your photo shows the extension on the front of the building and the newer sign.  The original did not have the extension on it and the sign was parallel over the front of the store reading "G & K Frozen Custard". 
It was situated on Route 50 at it's intersection with Annandale Road. The Exxon station was on one side and a strip mall containing the Post Office and Jefferson Delicatessen (worked there 62 years ago) on the other. On the south side of the Exxon Station was the A&W Root Beer stand, facing Annandale Road.
I was raised right on Route 50, at on top of the hill, between Marshall Street and Greenway Blvd. I would give you the address, but it changed four times while I lived there (From 10/1942 to 6/1960). We moved into that house just one month after Route 50 was opened to traffic. The Thompson's Dairy milkman used to park his truck in the right lane of Route 50 to deliver milk to our front porch. I remember when the center on the northwest corner was built. Acme (later Red & White) Supermarket, Drug store (Don't remember which one), Jefferson Theater (worked there 63 years ago), bakery (use to stop for a fresh doughnut when I finished my paper route) and a hardware store.
Remember the day the McDonald's opened across the street, Bill Page Pontiac on the corner and a Shell station on the northeast corner.
My mother walked my sister and I down the median strip of Route 50 from our house atop the hill back toward 7 Corners to Hillwood Community Center on Cherry Street when my sister was in the first grade. I wasn't yet in school.

Long time ago......

Charlie NHBA......

Charlie NHBA.........

#22 Jun-08-15 4:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

Wow...great history. I did know about the extension but not about the past 'cause 63 years ago, I was a brand new baby in Cuba!

That McDonald's was frequently visited by the Rojas clan. The papitas (fries) were the main attraction.

#23 Jun-08-15 8:08AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

After giving this a whole lot of thought, I realized that they took down the "G & K Frozen Custard" sign when the new sign went up.  They took the old one and put it up above the doorway to the back room, over the custard machines. That is probably why it is so indelibly imprinted in my mind.

Charlie NHBA.......

Charlie NHBA.........

Board footer