Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-13-15 7:35AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Lots of people fishing these days

I have never seen so many people fishing the ponds. There were 8 along the dam in Ashburn Lake when I came home from work last night.
Many more on Beech and Alder. It was nice to see people out and enjoying the evening. The association fee is high, so its nice people use the lakes.

I walk down to one of the lakes myself. The ponds seem to be very healthy. I caught fish after fish on the surface. Lots of small and very hungry fish.

There were a couple of guys hand lining watching me catch fish after fish. They were not having much luck with worms, fish were looking up.

Around dark, I went over to talk to them. Asked if they had any luck and if they were trying to catch big ones. He said "oh no, small ones they make good soup"

So I ask these questions not to stir the pot, but have an open discussion about it. 

1. Are we still trying to remove smaller fish? I kind of remember that that it went back to all catch and release. Should we be taking some fish out?
2. The rules say fishing for Ashburn residents only, but it appears that we don't mind if certain people do, back get worked up if others do. Is that fair?

smile

#2 May-13-15 8:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Lots of people fishing these days

1. Supposed to be all C & R but the Lakes & Ponds committee dissolved into the Facilities & Grounds committee and then in to the Common Area committee. Big project now is a monarch butterfly haven.
2. I am biased against anyone that takes fish out illegally. Don't have an issue with those that are C & R fishing. You must be a resident or a guest of a resident to fish the lakes.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-13-15 8:27AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

1. Supposed to be all C & R but the Lakes & Ponds committee dissolved into the Facilities & Grounds committee and then in to the Common Area committee. Big project now is a monarch butterfly haven.
2. I am biased against anyone that takes fish out illegally. Don't have an issue with those that are C & R fishing. You must be a resident or a guest of a resident to fish the lakes.

If someone is keeping fish

What do you do? or can you do?

I think we all know there is a bucket brigade out there.

smile

#4 May-13-15 8:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

We can call the Game Warden (1-800-237-5712) or Sheriff (non emergency).

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 May-13-15 1:57PM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

I strongly agree that taking fish out of small lakes should not be permitted.  Good luck regulating.

#6 May-14-15 5:48AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

My community also has a catch and release policy mostly because of the health hazards/concerns.  HOA doesn't want to be liable for anything out of their control.  With that said, I strongly believe in catch and release also for the local community ponds.  They are managed and sustained for the enjoyment of the community who pays for the maintenance.  Personally, there is nothing more exciting and fun than having a young person who catches a fish for the first time...let alone a big fish!

Board footer