Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-15-08 12:45PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Enforcement of AVCA Fishing Regulations

I am troubled more and more with the lack of enforcement on fishing the Ashburn Village Lakes. More often than not I see questionable fishing practices including but not limited to fishing off of the pier/marina at the Pavilion Lake and fishing by non-residents. I understand there are a couple of folks on this forum that are non AV residents, but you all fish legally (e.g. with a VA license) and with the approval of the residents.

Today I saw two gentlemen in a Maryland licensed truck, parked in a no parking zone, fishing the lake. Yesterday I saw more than half a dozen individuals fishing off of the marina, plucking fish out of the water and tossing them on the large flat platform to suffocate and die prior to being taken away for food (I presume they were for dinner). I can't get frustrated over the size limit and the removal of legal fish, but the manner in which it was done was inhumane.

Have any of you ever approached the AVCA Board to increase the enforcement of such policies? I know you have had success in the environmental aspects of lake and fishery management. I have no problem providing a fishing license and AVCA card to the sheriff's department when asked. However, it has happened only once in three years!

Any advice? Anything I/we can do?

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 May-15-08 1:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Enforcement of AVCA Fishing Regulations

Curly and I talk about this at almost every AVCA Lakes and Ponds committee (3rd Wednesday of every month). We have been told that the Loudoun County Sherriff will do more checking but that probably will not help. I heard that a bus driver (Loudoun County) had killed 2 big bass (he said they came up dead when he caught them) and took them home. NO WAY should that happen….but it does.

I have talked to most fishermen/women on Cedar and I try to let them know about the rules. As a matter of fact, lots of them now post here. That is good because we are all watching over the lakes. We know that if we take care of the lakes, we will get many years of pleasure from the quality of the fishing.

It's OK to take a few fish under 14" but I agree that there is a method to doing that too.

Anyway, without saying there is nothing we can do, I would suggest witting down license plates when you see an infraction and sending them to Mark Schnupp (schnupp@ashburnvillage.org) so he can alert the sheriff.

Unfortunately, there are people out there that are ignorant or clueless as to what they can legally take out of a body of water. Some just don’t care.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-16-08 4:36AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,

You couldn't have said it better. I've also noticed increased littering (disposed fishing lines, beer bottles, discarded rubber lures with hooks etc) and I will approach people when I see them doing it. This really irritates me because it affects the wildlife around the lakes. The herons, ducks, turtles etc all get tangled in lines and the discarded hooks can hurt kids.

I was fishing the other day and saw floating 40 oz beer bottles floating in the Cedar. I tried to throw away the ones I could reach. It's just sad to see that some people just don't care.

#4 May-17-08 6:03AM

plan b

i noticed that there has been quite a number of dead sunfish and crappie in beech and alder the last couple of days...  does anyone else know about this?

#5 May-17-08 8:44AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I have seen it at Cedar

#6 May-17-08 5:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

I talked to the state biologist (John Odenkirk) and he feels that this "kill" is natural (weather and spawn related). It  should not persist but we will see. We need to keep an eye out in case it could be related to the chemicals they use for algae treatment.

Ernie

#7 May-17-08 7:52PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I saw a dead Koi in Cedar today, to the left of Ernie's backyard toward the bridge.

Do you think the spray of algae treatment could kill fish? I have noticed a thick film it leaves in places it was sprayed. I hope it is not harmful to the fish. Have seen alot of dead bluegills lately.

#8 May-29-08 7:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

Algae treatment can kill fish....but most residents want algae free lakes. There is a fine balance we have to maintain.

The blue gill kill is fairly normal.....now there are only 49,381 of them left to catch!

Ernie

Board footer