Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-23-15 9:06AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

04/22/2015, Occoquan

Two coworkers and I left work early (5pm is early for us...) and headed down to the Occoquan for some shad fishing! They went on Saturday and were catching them on bare chartreuse jig heads! HA! I was out of town so I couldn't join them so we scheduled a time during the week. We got there around 6:15 and the water was brown from the rain today but there were tons of fish jumping, everywhere. From the looks of it, and based off our catching, I think they were all gizzards jumping around.

We were there for about 2 hours and used a variety of lures, bare jig heads, curly tails, shad darts, feather jigs, marabou jigs, and the like. Together we only caught one hickory, and it was on a chartreuse marabou jig with a white tail. There were several other people fishing, and a couple hunting for snakies, and we only saw one or two hickories caught. We snagged a handful of gizzards though. They pull hard, especially on light tackle, so we still got some pullage, but it was a bit disappointing not catching what we were after. Towards the end we decided to try for bass/snakies just for kicks. We just snagged more gizzards haha. I wonder if the shad run is

All in all it was a fun trip. I have never fished the Occoquan from shore. I always enjoy exploring new areas. My next expedition won't be until the first weekend of May. If the shad are still here I'll go play, but I might need to come up with a backup plan.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Apr-23-15 11:51AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 04/22/2015, Occoquan

I was thinking about heading out there tomorrow for shad. im a little disappointed you weren't able to able to hook up with more. did you fish back by the water fall?

#3 Apr-23-15 1:01PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Yup, but on the southern shore right by the footbridge, along with everyone else. They were definitely there, from the few nibbles I got that actually were tearing up my grub, but it was difficult catching. Not sure if the rain had anything to do with it. I'd be really curious to know if it was just yesterday. Hope you end up going and catching a bunch!

#4 Apr-23-15 1:04PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I also forgot to mention we saw an osprey hovering over the water for about 30 seconds. From my first outing with Ernie I knew what was going to happen next! I told my coworkers to check him out. Next thing we know he divebombs straight down to the water and catches a yummy shad. One for him, none for us! Later we saw another osprey diving, but this time it wasn't a straight dive. He ended up skimming the water for about 20-30m. I couldn't tell if he caught a fish or not. Both were truly sights to see!!

Board footer