Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-15-15 1:43PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Nearly 50 Snakeheads today (4-15)

Met up with VA-DGIF at at a Potomac trib to electroshock this morning.  What an awesome morning.  Got nearly 50 snakeheads in about 3 hours.......all kept......many over 10 lbs and a few approaching 14 lbs or so.  Also about a 100 bass measured and released.  Here is about 20 the first hour of shocking.  Bass went in the live well.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2015%20pics/4-15_zpsfdtfbech.jpg
Spent about 2 hours measuring and filleting back at the ramp.

First highlight of the morning was me netting a double!....very rare.  Then that was promptly crushed when I netted a TRIPLE big_smile big_smile big_smile

Just an awesome morning...........

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#2 Apr-15-15 6:00PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Nearly 50 Snakeheads today (4-15)

Way to go get 'em!  Those things can reproduce...

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Apr-15-15 10:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

How are we supposed to catch 'em if they keep them all?

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Apr-16-15 4:33AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

How are we supposed to catch 'em if they keep them all?

That what I was thinking.
No fair

smile

#5 Apr-16-15 5:29AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Yea no fair.. 50 in 3 hrs ... so where does the 23 dollar a pound filets go?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Apr-16-15 5:35AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

Yea no fair.. 50 in 3 hrs ... so where does the 23 dollar a pound filets go?

Capt Mike

Guess I have a few hundred dollars in my freezer. No meat was wasted.  They measured, weighed, pulled oteliths, determined male/female, and what each was eating.  Had to kill them to do all that.  Plenty more where those came from........

Last edited by Curly (Apr-16-15 7:39AM)

#7 Apr-16-15 10:22AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice job Curly!  I look forward to learning how to fillet them.....once I catch one.  You gotta teach me dude!

#8 Apr-16-15 11:14AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Nice job Curly!  I look forward to learning how to fillet them.....once I catch one.  You gotta teach me dude!

Not really any different than a bass or catfish. big_smile

#9 Apr-16-15 1:26PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I thought electro shocking was done specifically so the fish could be returned to the water unharmed and that Snakeheads had been removed from the "must kill if you catch" list.  Based on those 2 things, why are they being shocked and killed.  There is no sport in that.  And, for those of us who like fishing for them, that is a big hit in numbers making it harder to catch (assuming you are doing this more than once).  Why not return them like you do with the Bass?

#10 Apr-16-15 1:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

Guys- VGDIF has been doing this for years for study. Nothing new here. Technically. NSH is an invasive and they are supposed to be killed when caught.

Maybe someday they will be a sport fish.

#11 Apr-16-15 4:31PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Guys,
Cry me a river about the poor NSH (not you Ernie)...............It's a scientific study....plain an simple....samples are taken and a lot of high tech science and research is done on those samples.....not just by VDGIF fisheries biologists, but at many universities across this country too.  I personally know of 4 different scientific studies going on right now.  I'm actually a gov't scientist and am very interested and aware of the studies.  What was "harvested" the other day only encompassed a small and miniscule fraction of the open water in the creek we were on.  You have almost an equal chance on catching a NSH as a bass if you know the correct lure and habitat.  We shocked up about 80 or so bass at the same time as about 50 NSH......that's A 5:8 RATIO of NSH to LMB.  There are tons of NSH in the Potomac......and I assure you that there was a spectacular spawn last year......based on what I saw this week.  NSH is here to stay.  We could have caught over 150, but we harvested only what was necessary for the studies.  Probably 8000+ NSH in that creek.
Learn their patterns and you'll catch a lot.  I've been learning their patterns for 5 years now by going out and helping VDGIF.

You should be thanking VDGIF for their efforts.........instead of bitching and moaning like old ladies. tongue

#12 Apr-17-15 3:41AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Considering you caught that many in a few hours I'd think there are more than plenty out there.  I just can't believe how many there are already.  I doubt there was any dent made in the population.  Not even a drop in the bucket!  Good job Curly!

#13 Apr-17-15 6:22AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I apologize for giving the wrong impression.  Writing doesn't communicate very well sometimes.  I am not angry, annoyed, or anything like that, and I certainly wasn't "bitching and moaning like old ladies".  I was just confused because the description of what you were doing was different than how I thought electro shocking was generally done.  I thought it was always used so the fish could be returned alive.  I appreciate the further explanation.  That was all I wanted.  Didn't mean to get everyone riled up.  Again, no anger or jabs or anything intended.  Just asking.....Geez, ask a simple question! big_smile

#14 Apr-17-15 7:41AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Well personally I am just jealous he caught so many.. I need one those electric lure thingies.

LOL

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#15 Apr-17-15 11:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

I am not sure one can coralate bass to NSH ratios based on the shocking. Their behaviors are different. Not all bass will be shallow and maybe the NSH are.

And I am not convinced that there are a ton of snakies.....maybe in certain spots at this time of year. They get decimated by the bow hunters; at night when they are vulnerable. THAT is NOT sporting to me.  Easy pickings. Their numbers are down....and so are their sales.

#16 Apr-26-15 5:22AM

AnF

Curly wrote:

Guess I have a few hundred dollars in my freezer. No meat was wasted.  They measured, weighed, pulled oteliths, determined male/female, and what each was eating.  Had to kill them to do all that.  Plenty more where those came from........

What were they eating?

#17 Apr-26-15 9:00AM

darbrewe

AnF wrote:

Curly wrote:

What were they eating?

Electricity?

#18 Apr-26-15 9:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

darbrewe wrote:

Electricity?

Ha! I hope he meant what was in their stomachs.....would be good to know!

#19 Apr-26-15 4:06PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

little fishes in their stomachs...............

Board footer